Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1992 toyota: open the maf unless you put the pedel..tps..same thing…

Customer Question
A few months ago I...
A few months ago I was in contact about my 1992 Toyots pick-up. it has the 22RE motor. I had trouble with it when it was cold. it wouldn't open the MAF unless you put the pedel to the floor. I replaced the TPS and made sure it was set correctly but it still did the same thing. I even disconnected the battery to reset the computer. I have found that it runs just fine without the TPS hooked up. I already replaced the TPS once and have no intentions of replacing it again. I thought you charged me so we were done working on this but I just checked and noticed the money was still there. any thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/22/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Glen,

I'm not sure if I was the one you were working with or not, but let's try to fix this thing.

You said the MAF doesn't open unless you floor the throttle. Is that still the case?

Dj

Until the temp reaches normal operating range it does that. When I first got the truck the idle was too high. I adjusted the idle incorrectly using the stop screw instead of the idle air screw. When I put the new TPS on I made sure to reset it correctly and to set up the TPS with an ohm meter. All was set correctly but it still did the same thing. I thought the MAF was sticking so I removed the air cleaner but was able to move the gate inside very easily. I then read smething about throttle bodies getting clogged so I got some TB cleaner and cleaned the TB. It runs better but I found that it runs just fine and have been running the truck without the TPS plugged in. I'll plug it back in and give it a try and get back to you .

The TPS has two primary functions. The first is to tell the ECM that you have stepped on the gas. This is like an accelerator pump on a carburetor. It tells the ECM to richen the mixture because you have stabbed the gas pedal.

The other function is to cut off the injectors on deceleration. This saves fuel, cuts emissions and helps to prevent loading of the catalytic converter.

The main inputs to the computer for fuel mix are RPM, Coolant temp, and air flow.

Sometimes more information help to diagnose.

Dj