Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

my 4 runner off, the key wont turn back far enough..ignition switch…

Customer Question
when i turn my 4...
when i turn my 4 runner off, the key won't turn back far enough to remove it from the cylinder. Do I need to replace the cylinder or the ignition switch?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/16/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

If you cant pull the key out, then you will need to replace the switch but please check and make sure that the vehicle is in 'park' when tying to remove the key.

Genchi

Please ask more of me if needed.

When I pull the fuse for the ignition system, the key turns all the way and I am able to remove it. Does that mean the solenoid is bad or the ignition switch? The problem seems electrical not totally mechanical. Someone told me it could be the cylinder, could it? In your answer, what switch are you talking about?