Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1989 Toyota Corolla: I plan to replace the waterpump..L..sedan

I plan to replace the...
I plan to replace the waterpump in a 1989 Toyota Corolla, 1.6 L auto sedan. I need details and tips if you have them because it looks to be difficult.
5/28/2010
john
john, The Car Guy
here ya go

WATER PUMP COMPONENTS

REMOVAL OF WATER PUMP

1. DRAIN COOLANT
(a) Remove the radiator cap.

(b) Drain the coolant from the radiator cock and engine drain plug or cock.
  1. (4A-GE) REMOVE PS AND/OR A/C DRIVE BELT
  2. LOOSEN WATER PUMP PULLEY AND REMOVE ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT

(a) Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.

(b) Loosen the lock bolt and pivot nut.
(c) Move the alternator fully right, and remove the drive belt.
  1. (4A-F, 4A-FE) REMOVE PS DRIVE BELT
  2. REMOVE WATER PUMP PULLEY Remove the four bolts and pump pulley.
  3. REMOVE WATER INLET PIPE

(a) Disconnect the water inlet and water by-pass hoses from the inlet pipe.

(b) Remove the two nut and clamp bolts.
(c) Remove the water inlet pipe and 0-ring.

1. REMOVE OIL DIPSTICK GUIDE AND DIPSTICK Remove the mounting bolt and pull out the dipstick guide and gauge. NOTE: After pulling out the oil dipstick guide, be sure to plug the oil pump body hole.
  2. REMOVE NO.3 AND NO.2 TIMING BELT COVERS

1. REMOVE WATER PUMP Remove the three bolts and water pump. CAUTION: Be careful not to get coolant on the timing belt.

INSPECTION OF WATER PUMP

INSPECT WATER PUMP
Turn the pulley and check that the water pump bearing moves smoothly and quietly.

INSTALLATION OF WATER PUMP

1. INSTALL WATER PUMP

Place a new 0-ring on the block and install the pump with three bolts. Torque the bolts.
Torque: 150 kg-cm (11 ft-lb, 15 N-m)

1. INSTALL NO.2 AND NO.3 TIMING BELT COVERS
  2. INSTALL OIL DIPSTICK GUIDE AND DIPSTICK

(a) Install a new 0-ring on the oil dipstick guide.
(b) Apply small amount of engine oil to 0-ring.
(c) Push in the oil dipstick guide with the 0-ring.
(d) Install the mounting bolt.
  1. INSTALL INLET PIPE

(a) Install the inlet pipe and a new 0-ring to the water pump with the two nuts.

Torque:
4A-F, 4A-FE: 200 kg-cm (14 ft-lb, 20 N-m)
4A-GE: 95 kg-cm (82 in.-lb, 9.3 N-m)

(b) Install the inlet pipe clamp bolt.

(c) Connect the water inlet and water by-pass hoses to the inlet pipe.
  1. TEMPORARILY INSTALL WATER PUMP PULLEY

Install the water pump pulley and partially tighten the four bolts.

1. (4A-F 4A-FE) INSTALL PS DRIVE BELT
  2. INSTALL ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT
(a) Place the drive belt on the each pulley and set up the drive belt.
(b) Tighten the four bolts of the water pump pulley.
  1. (4A-GE) INSTALL PS AND/OR A/C DRIVE BELT
  2. ADJUST DRIVE BELT TENSION Belt tension gauge Nippondenso BTG-20 (95506-000200) Borroughs No. BT-33-73F Drive belt tension: 4A-F, 4A-FE Alternator

New belt: 160 ±20 lb
Used belt: 130 ±20 lb

PS
New belt: 125 ±25 lb
Used belt: 80 ±20 lb

A/C
New belt: 160 ±20 lb
Used belt: 100 ±20 lb

4A-GE
Alternator
New belt: 175 ±5 lb
Used belt:P 115 ±20 lb

PS and/or A/C
New belt: 175 ±5 lb
Used belt: 115 ±20 lb

1. REFILL WITH COOLANT
  2. START ENGINE AND CHECK FOR LEAKS

john
john, The Car Guy
Does the engine have to be hoisted and/or the fender splash guard removed? What about the valve cover and timing belt cover?
should not need to raise the motor but it will give you more room
john
john
john, The Car Guy