Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2001 TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER: ENGINE STARTED..REPAIR SHOP REBUILD..CAR BACK

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2001 TOYOTA...
I HAVE A 2001 TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER AND THE ENGINE STARTED USING AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF OIL AT AROUND 63,000 MILES. THE ENGINE FAILED AND I HAD A LOCAL IMPORT REPAIR SHOP REBUILD THE ENGINE AT A VERY COSTLY FIGURE. WHEN I GOT THE CAR BACK, IT STILL WENT THROUGH A LARGE AMOUNT OF OIL AND CONTINUED TO GET WORSE. THE LAST STRAW, AT ABOUT 72,000 MILE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAS GONE BAD. THE SHOP WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THE WORK AND TOLD ME THAT THIS ENGINE HAS A REPUTATION FOR RUNNING HOTTER THAT IT SHOULD AND IT EVAPORATES THE OIL. DID THE CAR BURN THE ETRA OIL BECAUESE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WAS GOING BAD? OF COURSE NOW I FIND OUT YOU CAN NOT REPALCE THE CATALYTIC COVERTER, YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE "FRONT PIPE" THAT HAS THE CONVERTER BUILT INTO IT. HELP
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/14/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 7 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Hello and thank you for using just answer!
Sorry but you got ripped off by an undereducated and underinformed shop.
We had issues with this motor due to changes in fuel standards, this causes oil burning past the rings.
Toyota does NOT recommend rebuilding or honing these blocks. The solution is to REPLACE the short block with the updated design. Your converter probably failed because it is not designed to handle all this oil.
So does this mean that after spending th $1,500 +- to replace the front pipe, I will still need to have another engine installed in this car?
If this car is still using oil as you stated then yes the short block(bottom half of the engine) needs to be replaced with a NEW one, it would also be a good idea to have new oem valve guide seals put in while this is apart if you are going to pursue repair.

What would the approximate cost of this be. I paid them over $6,000

Thanks,

Elton

Depends on who does the work, go to a toyota webiste such as metrotoyotapartsnow.com to see current price on short block, add about $400 for seals/gaskets/fluids plus about $2,000 in labor
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Thank you Peter for your help
Toyotapro
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech