Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1994 toyota corolla dx: check engine light..engine light comes..2 mins

Customer Question

1994 toyota carrolla dx 1.8 stationwagon check engine light comes on engine idle drops and hesitates idle coms back up light stays on car seems like has lack of power while driving sometimes light wont come on for a day or so somemetimes will come on 1- 2 mins after starting. while driving when light on car hesitates
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 years ago.

The first thing that should be done is to get the diagnostic codes from the car's computer, this can be done two ways, the best way is to connect a code reader to the computer, most of the larger autoparts chain stores will do this at no charge, try Autozone, Kragen, Advance Auto or AAMCO. If that's not an option then the codes can be read using the car's check engine light by doing the following:

Turn the key ON

Locate the diagnostic connector under the hood

Open the cover and locate terminals TE1 and E1

Put a jumper wire between the two terminals

The check engine light will start blinking giving a two digit trouble code, for example if the light blinks once and then twice it would be a code 12.

Let me know what is found and then I can help to diagnose this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
for what i explained have u ever heard the 1.8 doing this
There are a few reasons this could be happening, there may be an engine misfire causing loss of power, which in turn can cause the light to come on because of the O2 sensor reaction to the misfire, it could also be a problem with the catalityc converter, an engine input sensor malfunction but these are all just guesses that's why it's important to get the trouble codes, this will give me a starting point.