Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1993 Corolla DX: rough..stalls..plugs, dist cap and rotor, ign coil

1993 Corolla DX very rough idol and stalls when put in gear. I replaced plugs, dist cap and rotor, ign coil. I'm suspecting the ICA valve, but I want to make sure before I purchase the part. Any suggestions ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

The idle air control valve can be cleaned with relatively good success with carburetor and choke cleaner before you buy a new one. I would recommend trying it. The other thing to check is to make sure the EGR valve is not sticking on to tap on the EGR or apply vacuum make sure the plunger is going fully closed otherwise it will make it difficult to idle. Let me know what you find.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sprayed carb cleaner into the opening in the throttle body/carb.....no good. Do I need to remove the IAC and clean it ? Where is the EGR valve?
Thanks again,

The only way to accurately clean the idle air control motor is to remove it from the bottom of the throttle body and spray the duty cycle valve or flapper valve that rotates back and forth. Carbon gets built up on it and it is difficult to clean by spraying carburetor cleaner down in the hole of the throttle body. The EGR valve is located on the backside of the intake manifold just after the throttle body assembly. There is a metal pipe that goes from the bottom of the valve down to the exhaust port on the cylinder head.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks,
I will give that a try.

Let me know how it goes.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for all the help.I removed and cleaned the IAC. That didn't help. I'm going to try the egr today. Problem is that I can't really see or find the egr valve. Is it possible that my modle doesn't have one ?

Thanks again for your assistance,

Click the link below and save for more information. This engine does use and egr valve.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzyimnhlnyv

Skyvisions