Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

How many catalytic converters are on a 2003 Toyota Sienna

How many catalytic converters are on a 2003 Toyota Sienna? I only see parts available for a rear, are there any others?
Do you have the code numbers they used to determine the failure? Do you have the VIN available?

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Vin # XXXXX

Reference on Error Code was: Catalyst Deficiency Bank 1

Let check some things and I will get back to you in a few. Do you need an emissions test to get your plates renewed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I will, but not for a few months still. The inspection is good for now but the county I live in does require emissions test. I live in Harris County, Texas.

More than likely the code that was set was a P0420 code. There are three converters in the system according to your vehicle identification number. Bank 2 which is the front bank by the radiator has a small converter built into the exhaust manifold. Then there is a small converter in the Y pipe for Bank 1 then there is a sub converter that will assist both of the front converters for the final cleanup of the exhaust. Click the link below and save for more information. There is a small chance that you may be able to get by with just having an exhaust shop replace the sub converter. In order to replace the converter for Bank one you have to replace the Y pipe unless you can find somebody that can weld or modify a small converter in that place. The dealership only makes available the whole exhaust system as you see in the image below. The down side with using aftermarket converters is that they do not last as long as the factory converter. Hopefully if you can find someone that can modify the converter by welding a new one and they will offer a lifetime warranty on the part. Depending on your state and county restrictions sometimes if you clear the code and drive the vehicle to the testing center it usually will pass the tailpipe emissions test even with one converter failing the others usually will clean the system up well enough to pass as long as the check engine light is turned out on the first trip detection.

http://www.mediafire.com/?itntn40mmdm

Skyvisions