Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

How to remove Ignition Switch tumbler on a 1996 Corolla

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX are easy to replace, you must remove the upper and lower plastice cover for the column, then turn the key to acc, then insert a small screw driver into the hole and press, then pull the keylock cylinder out, i will post the procedure below with pics,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Notes
  1. On models equipped with airbags, disarm airbag system as outlined under Technician Safety Information.
  2. On models less airbags, disconnect battery ground cable.
  3. On models with coded audio anti-theft systems, remove steering wheel, if necessary, steering column garnish, if equipped, upper and lower covers.
  4. Disconnect electrical connectors from ignition switch.

1. Turn ignition key to ACC position. Push down the stop pin with a screwdriver and pull out ignition key cylinder.
  2. Reverse procedure to install. If audio system was disabled, activate as outlined under Technician Safety Information . On models with air bag system, rearm airbag system as outlined under Technician Safety Information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am waiting for the picture
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
the pictures are in the post above, you need to click "VIEW FULL IMAGE"
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Tim
I have some how lost the picture of the ignition.
I have remove the top and bottom plastic from the column and cannot see the hole you are talking about. can you send me the picture back, also a picture of the dash with the plastic removed
THANKS Andre
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your help it was very helpful, I will recommend to friends as need comes up.
Thanks Andre
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
anytime my friend,tim