Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

1998 toyota: runner 2.7 liter engine

I have a 1998 toyota 4-runner 2.7 liter engine. It will not idle. But will start if gas is pressed 1/4 way. Runs fine just will not run at idle? Thank you J
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

This is a pretty common issue on this engine.

On the bottom of your throttle body you have a part called the idle control valve, this is what the computer uses to set/adjust/maintain engine idle speed when you do not have your foot on the gas. Over time this valve carbons up and jams. Cleaning it out sometimes resolves the issue but usually the only solution on this part is to replace the valve.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you peter, I thought that was the problem. How long does it take to replace the idle control valve? Any thing need to be reset? Thanks again. J
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
No "resets" needed, the throttle body has to be removed, kind of a pain but about 1.5 hours to do this.