Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1998 Toyota Camry (4C, automatic). Car wont start. Key wont turn.

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Toyota...
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry (4C, automatic). Car won't start. Key won't turn. Brake pedal seems to be frozen and can't shift to neutral. Lights work OK.

Any ideas?????

Thanks, Lee
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
12/20/2009
Toyota Mechanic: Amedee, Toyota Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician

Hello!

If you cannot get the key to turn in the ignition, then you might have a bad ignition switch and or lock cylinder. Try another key and see if you can get the ignition to come on. If not, the lock cylinder is bad and needs to be replaced.

This does not explain why the brake pedal will not move, or why I can not shift out of park to neutral. It must be something else.
THe shifter will only come out of park if the key is turned to at least the accessory position. THe brake pedal will seem very stiff because the engine is not started and there is no engine vacuum to assist the brake pedal so it will seem very stiff.
The key does turn just a bit, but not as far as the accessary position, so that must be correct. It does seem strange that the ignition switch would go bad all of a sudden, without sticking a few times first. I had a simular situation once with a 93 Ford Taurus, and it turned out to be a problem in the brake pedal, that required a tiny little part and five minutes to fix. Before I accept your answer, I just want to make sure that there could not be any other reasons for the ignition not turning.
Try turning the steering wheel back and forth just a bit while trying to turn the key and see if that helps.
I did that already, but I tried again just to be sure. The key seemed to go a little further this time. I jiggled it quite a bit, but no luck. It seems to be the ignition switch. I can't get over how it just went out like that. I can't put the car in neutral, so it is going to be a pain to get towed. Any advice on that before I accept your answer?
You could check all the fuses... but that should not cause the key to not turn.
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
I guess all I can do is have the car towed to a repair shop. I was hoping for something easier and cheaper. Thanks anyway.

I hear ha! I which there was a quick fix for this. But there should be nothing else that is preventing the key from turning besides a bad lock cylinder. SOmetimes something in the steering column can cause this.. but that requires disassembly of the steering column and is not an easy fix. Try a different key and see if that helps!

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/21/2009 at 12:54 AM EST
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician