Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have to replace ignition lock on camry 1997 and got a set

from toyota delar(whole assembly ..including...
I have to replace ignition lock on camry 1997 and got a set from toyota delar(whole assembly ..including key) but dont know how to get the dash out.
12/15/2009
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

You need to get access to the bottom portion of the lock cylinder/steering column housing. This is done by removing the screws that hold the plastic panel on below the steering column the top portion of the panel is held on by pop clips.

The ignition switch needs to be turned to the ACC position. There is a hole in the aluminum housing on the opposite side of the housing as the ACC position. While in the ACC position use a 1\8 inch punch or small screw driver and push the release pin up into the cylinder and pull the lock cylinder out of the housing. If the lock cylinder won't move to the ACC position there are a couple of tricks short of drilling the lock cylinder out.

What I have done in the past when this is the case is to drive a screw driver (one with a square shank) into the lock cylinder. Use a wrench to force the lock cylinder to the ACC position. Don't drive it so hard that you break the aluminum housing off but it will take a good couple of whacks. It will take some force to turn the cylinder to the ACC position. This has worked for me in a number of occasions. The other option is to drive the pin up into the lock cylinder or try to drill it with out damaging the aluminum housing. Either way the cylinder can be removed. The last option is to drill into the lock cylinder its self and remove piece by piece I don't normally like this option.

There is no secret. If the 1/8 inch pin is pushed all the way in to the lock cylinder you should be able to grab the outer casing of the lock cylinder assembly and pull it out of the aluminum housing. Did you get the pin pushed all the way in to clear the aluminum housing? If not sometimes you can use a punch and drive the pin into the lock cylinder to get it to clear and release the cylinder.

Skyvisions

Thanks for the response!!! will give a try and get back to you.

Let me know what you find. The key they came with the lock cylinder will not work in the doors in order for you to have the same keys you will have to re-key the tumblers in the lock cylinder itself that you're replacing. If you do not care if the ignition key is different from the door key then don't worry about it.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Hey, I called couple of locksmith in my area and every one was asking $170 plus $29 as flat rate visit. I took fold decision to change it my self and I spend only $110 for toyota delar and now I know how to replace the iginition switch. Do it yourself not only saves $$$ but gives learning experience.

I have another issue with 1997 toyota camry, the drive side window goes half way and gets stuck then i have to wait for couple hours then it goes inche by inche .....I will open another question ....near soon. Do you know how much the cost of driver side 1997 toyota window motor?

I took picture of each step ...if ur interested.

Thank you Sir!!!

Have good.

What you're going to find is a circuit breaker in the power door window motor is popping because the motor is binding. Sometimes you can get by with silicone lubing the rubber glass run but normally you end up having to replace the power window motor. If you go to www.MetroToyotapartsnow.com you can purchase the window regulator motor online at wholesale prices. You can remove the window regulator motor from the regulator assembly. I have actually taken the Armature out of the window regulator motor assembly and sometimes they will clean up the brushes and lube the bushings on the shaft and have got them to work a little longer. Just a thought. It is always best to try and do it yourself this way you learn something but it is always wise to know one's limitations also. No shame in admitting that.

Skyvisions

Thank Your Sir!!! Have good one. I am closing this question.

You are welcome if you need anything in the future just as for me, Skyvisions, in the question and I will get back to.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician