Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Why does my 1998 Toyota Camry cut off when I come to a stop?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
<p>Thank you for using just answer.</p><p>Any check engine lights coming on?</p><p>Does it run normally other then stopping or does it die whenever you are not accelerating?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good question. Of course it has always had the cut off incident when I was at fulll stop and waiting for a traffic signal or other movement. It does not "choke" it quietly cuts off. I did notice that once the odometer jumped up to 2k rpm while it was idling, then dropped down to below 1k and then I saw the engine light which signaled that it had cut off. I put it in park and it cranks right back up in all scenarios before the vaccuum hose, the air filter, and the $580.00 idle valve replacement. After my dealership put it on some machine to test the idle valve, it ran noisily for the first time. That was prior to replacement of the idle valve. After they replaced it, I drove it for approximately 4 miles and it died quietly at a traffic signal. I put it in park and it started immediately as if nothing happened. It does not do this at every traffic signal.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Does this engine purr at idle or is it kinda noisey?
So to clarifyy here there are no check engine lights on when running right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It purrs like a kitten with 293,000 miles!
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
The idle vavle would have been my first inspection as well here.
Second thought that comes to mind here with no check engine light on would be if the EGR vavle is sticking open and causing the engine to literally "choke" or die out when coming to a stop. If this only happens when driving and stopping and rather not when starting the car for the first time then this makes logical sense. You most likely have carbon deposits in the valve and the ports that feed it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do you fix that?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Have the ports and/or valve cleaned out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is an EGR valve? What should I expect to pay to fix that?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
The EGR valve is located on the back side of the intake manifold, plan on a couple hours labor to have the ports cleaned out and tested.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You Peter. I will certainly discuss this with my technician. I will give them your address too!