Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

1990 toyota tercel ez: It has been sitting..toyota dealer

I have a 1990 toyota tercel ez 1500 cc 12 valve engine. It has been sitting for at least 6 years and has 136,341. The car is in excellent shape and all previous work has been done at the toyota dealer. The car has been well looked after. I tried to get the engine running today. It turns over and has good compression but the only way I can get the engine to fire is to put a little gas into the carb. It fires and runs until that gas has been used up but won't continue running, there is gas in the tank. Do you think this is a carb issue or perhaps something simpler like a new fuel filter or new fuel pump issue?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 7 years ago.
Billfish,

The gas that is in the car won't burn anymore.

The fix is to siphon out the old gas and put in fresh gas. There may be other things also but this has to be done before you can proceed.

I strongly recommend that you change the engine oil before you go any farther. When you get it running, there could be damage because the oil has become acetic.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have put new gas in the car before I attempted to start the car. The car will start but won't stay running. With this model and make of car etc and using new gas (and yes I will change the oil) what could the problem be?
Expert:  Dj replied 7 years ago.
Billfish,

Next is to see why and where the problem is with fuel delivery.

Does gasoline get to the carb? If you take a line loose does gas come out? You should get at least a pint of gas in 30 seconds of cranking the engine. If there isn't enough gas delivery, the problem is with the fuel filter or the pump. Change the filter first because you should anyway and retest.

If gas is getting to the carburator and not into the carb, then the needle is stuck in the seat. A couple gentle wacks with a hammer when the engine is cranking might get it loose, otherwise you can take the top the carb apart just enough to break it loose or replace it.

Dj