Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2000 Toyota 4Runner: diagnostic..V6..the gas pedal..center console

Customer Question
Can anyone tell me where...
Can anyone tell me where the diagnostic port is located on the 2000 Toyota 4Runner V6? I have been told in one of the forums that it is located just to the right and slightly above the gas pedal on the center console, but I guess I had better stop buying my glasses at Sears. I cannot locate it. Is it closed (have a little door on it) or is it open where you can plainly see the connector pins? Please help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/11/2009
Toyota Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Your DLC is located at the left end of the dash as shown in the diagram below. You are looking for DLC3 unless you have a dedicated Toyota scantool

graphic

Let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you

Okay, I believe I've found where you are talking about, but there is a plug there. Do I pull the plug and plug it into the diagnostic tool ? I have an Equus 3100 diagnostic tool if that's any help.
Dick

This is an end view of the connector that you are looking for

graphic

You should be able to mate your scanner to this connector

Sorry George, the plug in was on the right hand side of the dash as I had been previously informed, I just didn't look far enough under. I don't know what year the schematic was for, but there is no plug in for the tool on that (left hand) side of the dash, and believe me, I checked everything on that side of the dash. Tool diagnosed a code P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1). Ironically, I just had a new converter installed, guess the mechanic and I will have to have a conversation about this. MAS maybe?
Thanks anyway for your efforts, it's been ranging between the 90's and 100 degrees in Jersey for the past few days and this 70 year old body is happy to get out from under that dash.
Dick

Is this a right or left hand drive vehicle?

Are you in New Jersey or Jersey England?

I hope that once I posted the diagram of the connector it allowed you to find what you were looking for. Did it?

Your previous post indicated that you were looking above the gas pedal, is your pedal on the right hand end of the dash?

Let me know as the diagram was for a 2000 4Runner Left hand drive

I am in New Jersey, George. The vehicle is a left hand drive and I'm sorry, the way I stated it was a little misleading, when I talk about the right hand side I am referring to the right hand side of the drivers seat, mounted on the center console where you have to reach in, up and under to access it. The tool plugs in straight up and down in the receptacle.
Then the diagram must be wrong as to the location, glad you got what you needed
The answer that George provided had the diagnosis port in the wrong location. I eventually found the port on my own and no longer need assistance on the question.
Thank you,
Dick Minton
As I said glad you got what you needed
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician