Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

i need to repair the front axle of my 1992 toyota celica

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/1/2009
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Here are directions for CV axle removal and installation, as well as overhaul of CV joints if that is what you are wanting to do:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely.
  2. Remove the front wheels.
  3. Remove the cotter pin and locknut cap.
  4. Have an assistant depress the brake pedal and loosen the bearing locknut. Remove the engine under cover. Drain the transaxle lubricant.
  5. Remove the brake caliper and rotor (See ).
  6. Disconnect the tie rod end by removing the cotter pin and nut.
  7. Disconnect the tie rod with a press tool or, being careful not to damage the dust boot, separate with a fork tool.
  8. Remove the bolts and nuts and disconnect the steering knuckle from the lower arm.
  9. Use SST No. 09950-20017 or equivalent to push the front driveshaft from the axle hub. Be careful not to damage the abs sensor serrations on the driveshaft, if equipped with abs.
  10. Carefully pry out the left inner joint from the transaxle.
  11. On models with the 5S-FE engine, remove the bolts of the center bearing bracket and pull out the right shaft together with the center bearing case and center drive shaft. On models with the 4A-FE engine, tap out the inner joint from the transaxle.
  12. Lower the shaft.

To install:

1. Install the left shaft into the case, tapping the inner joint to snap the axle into place. Make sure the opening of the snapring is facing downward when installing the shaft. Insert the outer joint through the hub.
  2. Install the right shaft on models with the 5S-FE engine. Install the center driveshaft with the right shaft through the bearing bracket. Install so the straight pin on the center bearing case aligns with the hole on the bearing bracket. Torque the bracket bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm). Insert the outer joint into the hub.
  3. Install the right shaft on models with the 4A-FE engine into the case, tapping the inner joint to snap the axle into place. Make sure the opening of the snapring is facing downward when installing the shaft. Insert the outer joint through the hub.
  4. On the left shaft on models with both engines and on the right shaft on models with the 4A-FE engine, check that there is 0.08-0.12 in. (2-3mm) of axial play. Check also that the halfshaft will not come out by trying to pull it by hand.
  5. Connect the steering knuckle to the lower control arm and tighten the bolts to 94 ft. lbs. (127 Nm).
  6. Connect the tie rod end to the steering knuckle and tighten the nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). Install a new cotter pin. Always tighten the nut if the holes do not line up. Never loosen the nut.
  7. Install the rotor and caliper, torquing the bolts to 79 ft. lbs. (107 Nm).
  8. Tighten the hub locknut to 166 ft. lbs. (226 Nm) while depressing the brake pedal. Install the cap and use a new cotter pin.
  9. Fill the transaxle with lubricant.
  10. Install the engine under cover and wheels. Check the front end alignment. Reconnect the battery and road test.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3 Front axle shaft components1990-93 models with 4A-FE engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4 Front axle shaft components1990-93 models with 5S-FE engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5 Front axle shaft abs sensor serrations1990-93 models shown

Overhaul:

1. Place removed driveshaft into a suitable holding fixture. Check the driveshaft for no play in the inboard and outboard joints, that the inboard joint slides smoothly in the thrust direction and that there is no significant play in the radial direction of the inboard joint.
  2. Remove the snapring from the inboard joint shaft, except on the right driveshaft on models with the 5S-FE engine.
  3. Remove the inboard joint boot clamps.
  4. Remove the inboard joint tulip or center driveshaft. Place matchmarks on parts for reassembly. Do NOT punch the marks.
  5. Remove the tripod joint, removing the end snapring, sliding the tripod forward, then moving the inner snapring. Tap the tripod from the shaft, without touching the roller.
  6. Remove the inboard joint boot.
  7. Remove the damper from the right driveshaft on models with the 4A-FE engine.
  8. Remove the outboard joint boot, but do NOT disassemble the joint.
  9. Remove the dust cover, except on the right driveshaft on models with the 5S-FE engine. Press out the dust cover from the center driveshaft on models with the 5S-FE engine.
  10. Disassemble the center driveshaft on models with the 5S-FE engine. Remove the snapring, press out the bearing case and dust cover. Remove the snapring, press out the bearing, remove the snapring, then tap out the straight pin.

To reassemble:

1. Assemble the center driveshaft, installing the straight pin into the bearing case. Press in the bearing and install the snapring.
  2. Press the bearing case assembly onto the center driveshaft and install the snapring.
  3. Install dust covers, making sure they are pressed to the proper location.
  4. Temporarily install the outboard joint boot and new boot clamps. The boot and clamp of the outboard joint are smaller than those of the inboard joint. Place tape on the splines to avoid damaging the boots.
  5. Install the damper and new damper clamp in line with the groove of the right driveshaft on models with 4A-FE engine.
  6. After the inboard boot is placed on the shaft, place the beveled side of the tripod joint axial spline toward the outboard joint. Align all matchmarks made previously. Tap it on without tapping on the roller part, then install the snapring.
  7. Pack the outer cv-joints with 0.25 lb. (125g) of special black grease. Pack the inboard joint tulip on models with 4A-FE engine with 0.40 lb. (185g) of special yellow ocher grease. Pack on models with 5S-FE engine with 0.52 lb. (240g) of special yellow ocher grease.
  8. Install new boot retaining clamps and snaprings. When assembling the boots and clamps, make sure the boot is not stretched or contracted when the driveshaft is at standard length:

1990-91 with 4A-FE, left side: 21.248 inches (539.7mm) 1990-91 with 4A-FE, right side: 33.693 inches (855.8mm) 1990-91 with 5S-FE, left side: 21.996 inches (558.7mm) 1990-91 with 5S-FE, right side: 33.276 inches (845.2mm) 1992-93 with 4A-FE and at, left side: 21.248 inches (539.7mm) 1992-93 with 4A-FE and at, right side: 33.693 inches (855.8mm) 1992-93 with 4A-FE and mt, left side: 21.301 inches (541.0mm) 1992-93 with 4A-FE and mt, right side: 33.968 inches (862.8mm) 1992-93 with 5S-FE, left side: 21.996 inches (558.7mm) 1992-93 with 5S-FE, right side: 33.276 inches (845.2mm)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1 4Installing straight pin into bearing case on right driveshaftModels with 5S-FE

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1 5Installing dust cover on center driveshaftModels with 5S-FE

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1 6Installing dust cover on right driveshaftModels with 5S-FE

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1 7Installing damper on right driveshaftModels with 4A-FE

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1 8Measuring standard driveshaft length1990-93

Helpful tool to remove the cv axle from the differential(available at all parts stores):

Inner CV Joint Pullers for Slide Hammer

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager