Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2003 Toyota Corolla: LE...AC is not working..blowing hot air..freon

2003 Toyota Corolla LE. AC is not working. A few weeks ago, it was blowing hot air, so I checked freon. It was low, so I added a can. Worked for a couple of weeks, then low. Added a can of SurSeal and more freon. It worked for a couple of weeks, then low. Tried one more time with SurSeal. But this time the compressor no longer comes on. Is it time to take it to a pro?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer.
Adding any additives such as SurSeal is a very very very bad idea, my fear with this is that you have coated and CONTAMINATED the system and thus locked up what was a good compressor.
First the freeon level does need to be checked to be sure that this is not as simple as a low (or overcharged) system locking out compressor engagement. Also keep in mind that if you have a leak and are adding freeon then this means that you are not only losing freeon but also OIL in the system, it is also likely in this situation that the system was low on oil and has locked the compressor.
Yes this should be addressed by a professional. Another note on the 2003 corolla is that the Relay for the compressor is known to freeze internally, be sure that the compressor is recieving power from the realy here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should have mentioned that there is no power to the compressor. The fuse is good, but I have not checked the relay. Would adding additives cause power to be shut off to the compressor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should have mentioned that there is no power to the compressor. The fuse is good, but I have not checked the relay. Would adding additives cause power to be shut off to the compressor? Any idea of cost range?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
The compressor is powered by the relay. If the freeon level is to high or low then power is cut, so that is why I say check freeon level.
The a/c magnetic clutch relay is in the fuse block under the hood behind the battery, switch the relay for the a/c with the HORN relay for a few minutes to be sure that this is not a simple relay issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So this may not be a frozen compressor? I need more help in troubleshooting. How do I identify the horn / ac relay?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
That is whatneeds to be determined, open the fuse block cover under the hood where I described earlier, there is a map for fuse and relay locations on the inside of the cover, switch these 2 relays and tell me if the horn still works and if the compressor now works, tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK I will get back to you. Thanks. Right now I am off to work...
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
ok, I am online in the evenings, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I swapped the horn relay with the ac relay. The horn still works, so the ac relay is good.
I am taking this to a shop.
Thanks