Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I HAVE A 2002 TOYOTA PRIUS THE PROBLEM CODE P3130 HV TRANSAXLE

I HAVE A 2002 TOYOTA...
I HAVE A 2002 TOYOTA PRIUS THE PROBLEM CODE P3130 HV TRANSAXLE ASSY MALFUNCTION AND P3125 SMR ASSY MALFUNCTION.

1. COULD THESE CODES BE A BYPROUCT OR A SYMPTOM OF THE RECALL OF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (NHTSA: 06V266000)?
2. OR IS THIS WHOLE NEW PROBLEM?
3. WHAT SHOULD I CHECK FIRST AS TO BE THE PART CAUSING THESE CODES?
4. DOES THE WHOLE TRANSAXLE NEED REPLACING?
5. CAN YOU HELP ME?

I WILL BE CALLING TOYOTA TOMORROW ABOUT FIXING THE RECALLED CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(NHTSA: 06V266000) AND WOLD LIKE TO KNOW IF THESE CODE ARE RELATED.

THANK YOU

PAUL
5/17/2009
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to ask your question. I will try to answer your questions each...

No, these are all seperate issues and not related to the recall. Here is the information in your recall...

http://www.mediafire.com/?z0hzdkoobzm

2. OR IS THIS WHOLE NEW PROBLEM?

See post above this one.

Read the entire reply and you will see that it is best to let your Dealer handle the repair. Most if not all independant shops will not be able to help you with this repair. Granted there are a few Top notch places that will specialize in Toyota's. You may want to seek their help if you feel they can live up to your expectations.

No.

5. CAN YOU HELP ME?

Yes. The recall is a seperate issue and the other code are easily corrected by Service Bulletins. Please note that the time frame for warranty claims are different. The P3130 code is covered for 6yr/60,000 miles. The P3125 code is covered for 8yr/100,000 miles.

These are pretty straight forward repairs contained in these bulletins. Please see the Service Bulletins below...

Code P3125

http://www.mediafire.com/?wynzj0mtmhm

Code P3130

http://www.mediafire.com/?nu0ny1yiyi1

Please click accept if I have been helpful and can leave positive feedback. Thank You

Genchi Genbutsu
DTC Codes P3191 Engine dose not start

Let me tell you little bit what has brought me to this code. I bought this 2002 Toyota Prius little over a week ago at a car auction so it was sold as is with no warranty. And it ran great when I tested it no check engine lights or Triangles, engine was clean, sounded good, and oil and water looked good, so I turned down the extra cost to buy a contract cancellation option. Well I’m driving home from auction and I get close to home and all of a sudden red triangle &! With warning & Check engine light all come on so I freak out and pull over to side of freeway and start to look for anything that could be wrong, I don’t have my OBD2 scanner with me so I have no way to read the codes until I get the car home. Being new to a hybrid this triangle scared me and there is no engine temp gauge, So I’m thinking it over heated, So I wait 45 minutes to let the car cool down check all the fluids all looks good. So I proceed to drive it home about a block away from home I stop for a red light and light turns green and it stalls. So now I try starting it again it starts and I get home. So I hook up my obd2 scanner and get these codes P3125 SMR Assy Malfunction and P3130 HV Transaxle assy malfunction, so since I’m new to hybrids I go online to justanswers.com ask what the most common items that need fixing when these code come on. This certified Toyota mechanic wrote me back sending me Technical service bulletin (TSB) for both P3130 and P3125 So I read the TSB’s and it tells me to check water flow in inverter reservoir and check for kinks or blockages in hoses, I determine that that the Inverter electric water pump is not turning on, TSB instructs to replace water pump so I do, It also note that if DTC P3125 (converter and inverter malfunction) may also be present as a result of DTC P3130 do not Diagnose the P3125 DTC. I ignore P3125 as TSB says. Since I have the pump off, I flush the cooling system to make sure everything is flowing ok, then I install water pump, refill with coolant and bleed as instructed, I perform initialization procedure as manual says to do when aux battery is disconnected. Then I turn key to on position, check engine light and triangle are gone, ready light comes on so I started the car, the gas engine starts up runs for about 1-2 minutes and sounds smooth, then it just dies and sound a little rough as it stalls I looked up at the dash when it died and notice gas level very low and Triangle and Check engine light has returned, So I filled up tank, it at ¾ now, and find DTC code P3191, My Innova 3100 scanner says P3191 Cruise control Vehicle sensor malfunction and The Haynes manual says DTC P3191 Engine does not start, but I go online and double check code I read on one web site that it could mean HV ECU need replacing but on another web site that it could mean it out of gas, so I try starting again gas engine starts runs for 1-2 minutes then stalls I try this a few times sometimes the screen in center of dash flickers as it stalls and sometimes it does not. I tried stepping on gas petal thinking maybe it needs more gas, no response what so ever, engine does not rev up no matter if it during the 1st minute when engine is running fine or when It is about to stall. Sorry to make this so long but want you to know all the details so we can figure this out, and get the right parts because I am on a very low budget, when the 1st codes came up Toyota gave me a estimate of $4065.00 after just buying this car a week ago I have very little funds left to repair it, So I would appreciate any help I can get to fix this myself. What should I check, unfortunately I do not have a Toyota scan tool only a generic Inova 3100. Please if you could help with some advise as to what will fix the problem with the car it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul [email protected]
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu