Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Wipers do not return to park position when turning off. Intermittent

Wipers do not return to...
Wipers do not return to park position when turning off. Intermittent feature does not work. Just one speed on or off. Fuses are good. How do I determine if it's motor, or switch? How do I remove plastic cowl and replace motor if it's the motor. Or how do I replace switch if it's the switch (relay)?
5/8/2009
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

What year and model do you have?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

2000 Camry LE V6 made in KY 7-00

95% of the time you are looking at a bad wiper motor on this model. What happens is that copper contacts get worn out and does not allow the wiper motor to return to park. Because it does not see the park position it overrides and will not allow the intermittent wipers to work. Sometimes you can pop the plastic cover off the motor and clean or bend these contacts over and the motor will continue to work a little longer this is a common failure. Click the link below and save the picture of the plastic cowling and wiper motor. Ideally you need to do extensive testing of the wiper motor and switch if you want to do that and need information let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynowyiatnzl

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Ok, thanks. XXXXX just replace motor with a used one at a used parts dealer? They charge $35. I have done work on brakes and wiper motors in other cars. Is this an easy job?
Any other suggestions how to replace the wiper motor on the camry? Thanks. Your drawing is helpful and your first explanation to the point.

If you buy a used wiper motor for $35 that is a good price the problem is you don't how long it will last. Once you get the wiper motor out take the cover off the round section of the wiper motor and see if you can bend and clean up the contact wipers inside the motor you will see when talking about when you get the cover off. This is not a difficult job someone with average mechanical skills can do this in 45 minutes to an hour. To get the wiper arms off simply take the nuts loose and push down on the wiper arm and this will break the taper fit of the pivot. When you are reinstalling the wiper arms onto the pivot make sure that the wiper motor itself has run through a couple cycles and has been returned to the park position then install your wiper arms. Like I said purchasing a used part you never know what you're going to get kinda like a box of chocolates.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician