Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

98 4runner limited: idles rough..die..restart..it takes a few cranks

Customer Question

my 98 4runner limited sometimes idles rough and die out but then it will restart and also sometime it takes a few cranks to start it but only occasionally. do you have any ideas on what may be causing my problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Can you give me any specifics about the circumstances surrounding the stalling issue? Is it while accelerating, decelerating, cruising, speed, etc.....? Does it have a check engine light on? If so, have you had the codes checked?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the rough idle happens when engine is at normal temp only at a stop when idling for a few minutes and then sometime dies out and may take a few cranks to start up again. Sometimes it takes a few cranks to start when we go to start it fires and then dies out and then it will take a few cranks to start when it normally starts right away.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
When you feel it doing this, if you put it in neutral, does it still die? Does this occur after prolonged highway driving, or around town stop and go below 40 mph? Does it have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No engine light.It has happened under both after highway and in town driving after we get to a stop and let it idle like while going into a convenient store and coming out to find it died out or if we turn it off while in the store we come back out to start it and it acts as if to start but dies and then it takes a while and a few cranks to start up.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
Give me just a bit to look into a couple of things specific to your vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK!!
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
OK, Well only a few things stand out as possible culprits without setting a check engine light. I would like to have the computer checkec for codes just in case before we go too deep. If you are outside California, you can go to your local auto parts store like Autozone and have the codes checked for free. Is this an option for you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
iF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS NOT COME ON HOW WILL IT STORE THE CODES? THAT IS WHY I HAVE NOT GONE TO GET THE CODES READ ON MY OWN.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
There is actually a code for a malfunction in the bulb circuit for the check engine light. There are also different types of codes some of which will not leave the light on after ignition shut off and restarted. The code could still be there, just no light. It would be helpful to KNOW there are no codes. Im here to help you, so you tell me how you would like to proceed. If I had this car in my work stall, I would definitely check for codes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WILL TRY TO HAVE THEM READ.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
Let me know what you find out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK