Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2000 Toyota 4Runner: dashboard..(mode, off, a/c, defrost)..dials

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. The buttons on the dashboard do not work all the time (mode, off, a/c, defrost). I can control temp of air/heat with dials. Could this be a fuse problem or something else? I checked for fuses, but did not see anything for dashboard.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Do you have Auto air or Manual air controls?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Manual air controls. There is a "a/c" button to turn air on, there is the "off" button to turn it off. There are dials to control temperture (cold, 65,70, 80 etc.) and another dial to control how hard to blow--they work fine. Problem is --- if I turn a/c on, I can't turn it off. I can only control by temperture dial, but the a/c will still be on. But because the buttons only work sometimes, and if everything is off and I need to turn a/c on, I can't. Even if I turn dial to "cold" it's still blowing hot, until that a/c button is pressed, which it doesn't work all the time. This started happening a few weeks ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sometimes the buttons work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I can't turn the a/c on sometimes I can. If the a/c is already on..... sometimes I can't turn it off, sometimes I can. There are five buttons on the dashboard ("outside temp", "mode", "off", "front defrost" and a button how you want to circulate the air") and two dials. Only the buttons don't work all the time, the dials (knobs) work fine and control temperature etc. Thanks for your help!

Let me do some research on this problem and I will get back in touch with you this afternoon or evening. If that is not acceptable let me know and I can opt out.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Randy that is fine, I will check this email later. I appreciate your help.

Just to clarify if you have the mode switch turned to the defrost mode the AC light will light and stay on. You cannot turn this switch off when the mode lever is in the defrost mode. Make sure the mode is on vent or feet then see if the light on the AC switch turns on and off normally. I have done multiple searches for air-conditioning or heater problems with the control panel and have found none. I want to make sure that you are aware that the AC switch will not turn off if the defrost or is that defrost mode.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You are correct a/c light stays on when defrost is on. That's not the problem. I purchased this vehicle new in 1999. All the buttons worked fine, until a few weeks ago. No matter what I have on or off, the buttons don't operate any more. I push, I push, I push.... nothing happens. Sometimes I have to push the button 3/4/5 times and I still can't turn it on or off. It appears to be an electrical problem or fuse. I realize I have to take it somewhere, I'm just trying to get an idea of what it might be.

It is unlikely a fuse or power input if even one of the buttons are working the power supply is normal. You are probably looking at the control panel to be replaced. If you want to post the VIN I can run any inquiry on the panel to see if there are any issues with it. I checked all known service bulletins and have found no particular issues so far. I have never had to replace one either. This is not a common problem. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I cannot get to my vehicle until later today, therefore, I don't have the VIN #. I will have to take it in. Thanks!

If you can get then let me know. There is a website I can direct you to where you can save some money on the factory part is it works out that the control unit is defective.

RXXXXX XXXXX