Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 Toyota Camry: loosen..tensioner adjustment bolt/pulley is

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Toyota...
I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and I am trying to loosen the tensioner. I am at a loss as to were the tensioner adjustment bolt/pulley is. Could you walk me through this process?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/27/2009
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 8 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer.

Are you replacing your accessory dive belt here?

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

It is a 4 cylinder. Yes, the accessory drive belt broke. I have the new one put over all of the pulley's except for the top pulley. Seems to be about 2 inches of movement that is needed in order for it to slip over the pulley.

When I look at the two smooth pulleys in the center and on the top, neither one has a place for a tool. the smaller pulley to the rear of the engine does have a hole in the center of the center bolt. But it is smaller than 1/2 inch. Someone said that a 1/2 inch rachet would work. Not so. Help.

Also, there is a bold, about 3/4 in metric size just to the right and toward the top of the engine. Seems to be a nut over a nut. Is this the adjustment nut? If so. I can't seem to move it. How much torque should I be using on this nut?

Thank you for the reply and clarifiaction. Can't say I have even seen a belt "break" on one of these so be sure to turn ALL of the pullies by hand and test for resistance here, you may have had something lockup and cause this.

Here is the picture you need:

graphic

This shows belt routing and tensioner location.

Note the rear idler pulley is attached to the tensioner, just above the rear pulley you can see where the tool is being attached, there is a 19mm bolt head (aluminum cast) casted to the bracket. Attach a 19mm tool to this location and pull toward the FRONT of the car to loosen the tensioner, note this is VERY tight, just apply slow but firm pressure to slowly move the tensioner toward the front. I find from experience that it is easiest to install the belt of you go around the water pump last.

Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Toyotapro
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech