Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2006 toyota tacoma: v6..4x4..transmission fluid (..trans

I have a 2006 toyota tacoma v6 4.0 4x4. I made the mistake of draining approximately 2 quarts of transmission fluid (was not paying much attention, meant to change oil). I noticed there's no dipstick and can't locate the fill plug for trans. I need to know how to make sure I refill the correct amount with the absence of a dipstick and need to know where the fill plug is.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

There is a refill plug on the side of the transmission, and overfill plug. You will need to remove both plugs. Fill thru the fill hole until fluid runs out the overfill hole. Make sure it is on level ground.

graphic

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Agreed however you need to be aware this transmission takes type "WS" fluid only available at the dealer, do NOT put fluid in from a parts store. Also the transmission must be at a certain temperature range before removing the overflow plug and then overfilled from this level by 1/2 quart.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There has to be some type of fluid I can buy from a parts store that will work hasn't there? I would tend to believe toyota says to use toyota products so that toyota can make money off them. The dealer is closed today and I need to get it done. So are you sure it has to be from dealer?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
NO, only the dealer, you will be buying a new transmission if you contaminate this system, it HAS TO BE TYPE WS FLUID
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

" They should not be mixed. "WS FLUID IS A WORLD STANDARD(WS) FLUID THAT IS NOT INTERCHANGABLE WITH ANY OTHER FLUID AND AT THIS TIME THERE IS NO EQUIVALENT FLUID. DUE TO REDUCED VISCOSITY"