Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I own a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner. I have lost the lights on my

I own a 1999 Toyota...
I own a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner. I have lost the lights on my dashboard instrument panel. The only light on the instrument panel is the one that tells me I am in drive, etc.. Is this likely a fuse in he box under the hood? (I have checked the small fuses in the internal fuse box and they are all intact) If so which one? Could it be a bulb? Or could it be something much more expensive to fix? I have to drive with one of the reading lights so that I can see my speedometer. I have all other interior lights, headlights, tail-lights and I believe...the light above the license plate. What else can I check? Thank you.
12/8/2008
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Can you clarify? Are you saying that the illumination lights for at night are not coming on or are the warning lights not coming on? If it is the illumination lights are you certain the rheostat dimmer is not turned down and are the running lights working?

RXXXXX XXXXX

My problem is he illumination lights. I have tried the dimmer with no change. The warning lights do come on. In fact, sometimes after sopping at a stoplight, my brake ligh will come on for 3 or 4 secinds and them go off. Because my owner's manual does not explicitly troubleshoot this issue, I am not sure where to start a diagnosis.

Do you have any test equipment like a 12 volt test light? The 10 amp tail light fuse feeds the dash lights. It is in the fuse box under the hood. If the tail lights are working then the fuse is good because it uses the same fuse. Did you check the tai lights?

RXXXXX XXXXX

I lifted the hood and was surprised at what I found. The small, red 10amp fuse looked fine but I replaced it anyway. Nothing changed. However, I did determine that I do not have any tail lights at all. In the fuse box under the hood, there are 3 rows of small fuses and one row of what looks like larger primary fuses. The one marked "TAIL" is missing. I can't imagine where it went since I had to take off the lid to get the fuses. So, it appears as if I need to replace the one marked "TAIL". Can I buy that "fuse" anywhere and if so, what do I ask for?
Thank you for your help. I will accept your next reply. Barbara

Any parts store sells these fuses. Make sure you have the right fuse location. If you look in the lid of the fuse box cover it will give the identification and location of each fuse. If you are still uncertain about the fuse let me know and I will see if I can find a picture or diagram. I find it hard to believe that the fuse is just missing. But the tail lamp fuse is the common problem for the taillights and the dash lights. Let me know what happens.

RXXXXX XXXXX

graphic

Is this what I need?

No this is a tail light relay the fuse is located in the diagram below in the box under the hood. Click the link to enlarge. Do you know what fuses look like? If you go to an Auto Zone they are usually good about helping people put a fuse in or at least checking it.

RXXXXX XXXXX

graphic

In your diagram where you indicate in red - I replaced that fuse. The socket called "Tail Relay" is completely empty. There is nothing in it. I am assuming I need to replace something that looks like what is in the "Fog Relay" socket. Is this technically called a fuse? If not what is it and can I get one at Auto Zone, etc.?

I hope you don't think I'm being thick about this. I think I know exactly what I need...I just don't know what to call it.

Where did your taillight really go? If you have a defog relay or a fog relay grabbed it firmly and pull it out. Then stick it into the slot for the taillight relay and see if your taillights function. They should be the same relay. The relays are in tight. Let me know how it goes. I will be taking a break for a few minutes and I will check back in a while.

RXXXXX XXXXX

OK...here's the end of this story. I took the fog relay out and put it in the Tail socket. Now I have tail lights and lights on the speedometer, etc. However, now I have no fog lights. So, what do I ask for at the auto parts store so I can get my fog lights back.

I think that when I had my oil changed about 2 months ago, some how the tail relay went missing...that's the only time I open the hood. I don't drive that much at night so I went for a long time without realizing I had no dash illumination.

Thank you for your patience. Please tell me what the reference name is XXXXX XXXXX "fuse" thing that I need to buy and I will go happily, quietly into the night. Thank you.

I would take the relay to the parts store to have them match one up. There will be a Toyota part number on the side of the relay. They should be able to cross-reference that number. If they cannot I would go without fog lights for a day and pick up the right part at the Toyota dealer. The actual relay is called taillight relay. The fuse is a 10 amp taillight fuse. All fuses for this vehicle are the same type just different ratings. If you want to order a taillight relay online go to www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com . Let them know I sent you. They have good prices and they ship in the US. This way you will get a factory taillight relay all you have to do is plug it in and go. At least now when you go quietly into the night you will see your way. Just kidding I am glad you found the problem and didn't cost you $100. That is unless you're feeling generous with a just answer bonus. Have a great evening. If you need anything in the future just ask for me.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician