Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I manually close the sunroof on a 2004 Toyota Camry…

Customer Question
How do I manually close...
How do I manually close the sunroof on a 2004 Toyota Camry (with a broken cable).
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/2/2008
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 9 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
What position is the sunroof in right now? Partially open, tilted up, etc.....
to my knowledge, completely open. I opened it, and then it would not close. I took it to the dealership, and they wanted $2000 to replace the cable.

Thank you for the reply, $2000 seems excessive. I have seen this before, if the sunroof is not used on a very regular bases the seal around the glass tends to "stick" to the body of the vehicle and puts a strain on the cables when the motor forces the glass to move, over time (or just 1 time in cases) this causes the cable to break or strip out. In order to access the sunroof and repair the headliner/etc...has to be removed to access the unit, this is where it starts to get expensive, i think the $2000 estimate you were given may have been a "worst case" quote, the cables (2) are a couple hundred dollars each and figure about $600 labor to install, but if the track or motor has been damaged this is where you will enter the $2000 range. Click the link below to better understand how the system is itemized out:

DOWNLOAD

If all you want to do is close the unit then there is hope here, if you remove the front sunglass holder and pull down the front of the headliner then you can access the sunroof motor, if the cable has only seperated and not completely jammed itself in the housing then you should be able to remove the sunroof motor and manually pull on the glass forward to position the glass back closed, you can not however position the glass up/down manually because the cables are directly connected to the lift arms and require motor drive to position up/down. I would inquire with your dealer to see if they would be willing to do this for you at a reasonable rate, I have done this and then permanently disabled the system for my own customers in the past.

Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech