Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

rebuilt..first and second gears are delayed..transmission shifts

Customer Question
My son just rebuilt the...
My son just rebuilt the transmission and he needs to adjust the detent cable. the first and second gears are delayed when the transmission shifts
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Toyota
9/24/2008
Toyota Mechanic: ase_master327, Shop Owner replied 9 years ago
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Hello.. I had to break out the copy machine for this one..

Anyways.. Here are the instructions on adjusting the cable:
graphic
I had the throttle cable adjusted by a mechanic I know in town. We've determined that the throttle/detent cable is not the issue. What is happening actually is the transmission is shifting from 1st gear to 3rd. Reverse works well, and so does first gear. Everything seems to engage, and it shifts firm when I move the shifter from Park to reverse, to Drive--but there's something fishy about second gear. If you put the car in drive (D), it takes forever for the transmission to shift, but it doesn't shift hard, it actually shifts smoothly, and the rpm's of the car sound like 3rd gear instead of 2nd. However, if you place the shifter in 2nd (2)and then drive the car, the transmission will not shift into second gear. Also, when I'm in 3rd gear, if I try to pass, the engine just revs like its trying to find the second gear, but it cannot. Its like there's no second gear. I have read a few places that funny shifting problems could be related to a faulty valve body. Do you think that might be the issue?
Kind of what it sounds like. And all of that depends on the condition of the fluid, too.. though.. What's the fluid look like? Dark or bright.

Transmission fluid doesn't get contaminated like engine oil does. So the fluid should always be the exact condition it was when it came out of the bottle. What damages it is heat. Transmission fluid begins breaking down somewhere around 170 degrees. The manufacturer decided to 'cool' the transmission fluid in the radiator, where the temperatures are usually well over 200 degrees. This destroys the fluid, and it cannot clean, lubricate and act as a hydraulic fluid while it is already 'weakened'.

Over time, this will damage it. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Hello, do you still need help with your vehicle?
ase_master327
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner