Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

what causes front end vibrations on 2004 toyota sequoia

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer. How many miles are on the truck? Does this vibration intensify depending on the speed of the vehicle or only while braking? HAve you performed any prechecks yet? Any recent repairs or services before this started?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
50,000 had it in just prior to exp of warranty. does not occur during braking. No recent repairs
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, are you stating that the truck just had a 50,000 mile service and it started after that?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, just took it in for the vibration noise prior to warranty expiring
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
XXXXXor 4x4? does the noie vary if you rock the steering left to right at speed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
4 x4 - does not vary left or right
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for so many questions but it can be hard to determine exaclty what you are dealing with without actually seeing/driving the truck with the limitations of the internet.

You have referred to this as a noise AND a vibration, do you physically "feel" a vibration or do you only hear something? Does this sound like a droan noise perhaps?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

droning type noise/vibration felt in floor board drivers side and gas pedal. When 4x4 engaged seems to go away or smooths out. as long as gas pedal is depressed(applying torque to system) is when it occurs. back off the gas, smooths out. Checked the u-joints and lubed, no changes. Guessing either wheell bearings or front shafts. Totota says they find nothing, but where they drove it was never on highway to get real occurence of problem. Gets annoying after a while driving at the prolonged speeds 45-70, worst seem right between 60-70 mph

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, I now have all the information I need from you. My database is acting up tonight and I want to upload a few things for you to look at but am having some technical difficuties, can you check back tomorrow and I will post an "answer" for you withe some documentation?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no problem thanks. appears to be a known problem from owner forums on 03-04 models. People try and descibe the vibration and nobody believes them. One guys stated he replaced his hub bearings 4 times for the problem. could be the issue, just need more research before putting the heat on Toyota. One stated he had gears in front diff were bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
let me know what you find out. thanks
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, I have 3 files I have uploaded for you that I would like you to review to get a better understanding here:

DOWNLOAD 1

DOWNLOAD 2

DOWNLOAD 3

So right now you are probably trying to figure out what the first 2 have to do with you right?

I am factory certified with experience with toyota and lexus dealers.

The gx470 is the same powertrain as your sequoia and I will be completely honest with you that the engineers tweak and perfect the Lexus line much more then the Toyota line. A front end droan is a known issue on GX and Sequioa, this is just to show that the front end noise CAN be resolved but does not apply to the toyota axle. Read download 3 and see if this applies to you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do they have same procedures listed for the Sequoia then also? Or just give these to the dealer service dept??

I need to take these to the dealer then for service ASAP and should be covered under warranty as I alreaady had it in twice at 45,500 for the issues.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
#2 seems to fit the bill correctly. They did do the drivers side rear bearing already, but it did not cure th problem. So now it seems we need to address the #2 issue as this describes what I feel the most.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Download #3 is the only one that directly applies to your truck, I supplied download 1 and 2 to give you a better understanding of what's going on here. You mentioned what you read on the forums.....take those posts "with a grain of salt", if you produce a million units then some will have issues, just because someone had gears or a bearing replaced does not mean the exact same thing is wrong with your truck. See if you can get anywhere with download 3, if this does not resolve then they need to put a set of chasis ears on the front differential to trace the noise to either a wheel bearing, differential preload bearing or differential assembly.

I hope this has been of some help to you. Thanks!