Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

97 camry: no power to starter solenoid when key is turned

Customer Question

97 camry won''t start, have no power to starter solenoid when key is turned
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

The starter relay is in the fuse block in the engine compartment. The first download is the location and pin identifications of the relay. Look at the wiring diagram 2nd download. If you pull the relay out and jumper pin 3 to pin 5 where the relay was the starter should engage. This will confirm the 40A fuse and the starter integrity. Pin 1 in the fuse block where the relay was should get 12 volts when the key is in the start position. Let me know these results. The pin identifications are further down the pages of the first PDF.

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Randy, Jumping terminals 3 & 5 does energize the starter coil & starter. I have no power on terminal 1 when the key is energized.

Next check for 12 volts at the 5A starter fuse with the key in the start position it is located in the fuse box under the hood. Pull the fuse out and test both pins for the fuse. Double check the fuse also make sure it is not cracked. I am going to be off line for a awhile and will be back on later tonight. Follow the wiring diagram / road map the next check will be towards the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. Try wiggling the shifter to the N position and check the connector at the neutral safety switch. This is an automatic?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RXXXXX XXXXX's Post: Yes an automatic. Where is the neutral safety switch?

The switch is on the side of the transmission follow the dipstick down it is next to it.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Randy, I pulled the fuse earlier and had 12V when the key was engaged. I'll check the neutral switch tomorrow AM.

Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Randy, I have located the neutral switch. I pulled the cable plug off and reattached it. It appears tight and OK. Do I need to jump the switch? Which terminals?

Thanks

If you refer to the wiring diagram You should have 12 volts at pin 5 the black wire with a white tracer in the start position. If you jumper pin 5 to pin 6 the gray wire this will bypass the NSW. From there power goes through a junction connector J7 and up to the starter relay. The NSW connector is P1 and is listed at the bottom of the wiring diagram.

Let me know the results.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RXXXXX XXXXX's Post: Randy, I have power at the black wire with the white tracer when the key is energized. If I jump the neutral safety switch at the plug (black w/wh tracer & gray) nothing happens with the key engaged.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Randy, where is junction connector J7?

The next connector in line is II2 which is under the blower motor. On page 7 of 12 on the download. J7 is located in the drivers side lower finish panel page 6 of 10 on the second download. Let me know what the voltage readings are at these locations with the key in the start position.

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Randy, I'll be able to check the items tomorrow evening. I'll send the results.

Thanks

Let me know how it goes.

RXXXXX XXXXX