Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 L engine and CA ...

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 L engine and CA emissions. The CEL light is on and OBD code is P1135 which is a "Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction". The local Toyota shop says it needs a 89457-34011 air/fuel sensor that installs at the intake manifold, not the O2 sensor before the first CAT or the O2 sensor that installs after the second CAT. I went up to the local Toyota shop and looked at the part and asked the part guy to show me where it was located on the intake manifold, neither one of us could see where it would install and the mechanics aren't allowed out of the shop, company policy, so, I didn't buy it. Where on the intake manifold does this sensor install?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 years ago.

Some one must of mis spoke or they are really ignorant in which case I would not go back to that dealership. The P1135 is a heater circuit malfunction in the air fuel ratio sensor. Attached in the download link is a test of the circuit and a nice diagram of where it is located IN THE EXHAUST PIPE JUST BEFORE THE CONVERTER NOT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm confused as the parts guy pulled up a diagram of the engine and it had that part number at the bottom under CA emissions and had an arrow pointing towards the front of the engine diagram near the manifold. Also, the sensor had a short pigtail, about 10 inches, while the one in front of the CAT would need a pigtail about 3 feet long.

I have no Idea what the parts guys is trying to tell you but the Toyota wiring diagram and the routing diagram show the connector underneath of the vehicle. Check the links below. Even the wiring diagram does not specify CA emissions for the AFR sensor.

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

graphic