Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1994 Toyota Land cruiser: liter..a valve job done and..timing chain

Customer Question
I have a 1994 Toyota...
I have a 1994 Toyota Land cruiser with the 4.5 liter straight six in it. I had a valve job done and replaced the timing chain. All timing marks lined up and the truck started and drove around fine yesterday. Today it will not start. I get a few sputters but that is all. Help
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Toyota
12/30/2006
Toyota Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic replied 11 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic
Have you determined if it is not getting spark or if it's not getting fuel?
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: It is getting spark and the white smoke is coming out of the exhaust. As it got warmer in the day it started up pretty easily but idled real rough at first. After feathering the gas a bit it finally reved out fine and seemed to run good again. It still is rough on the idle but accelerates fine.

It sounds like the white smoke is just the burn off of any oil or coolant that may have gotten into the system. Is the smoking getting less?

Also i would probably check if not change the spark plugs.

The white smoke goes away when it is warm. It is just there when trying to start it. The plugs and wires and distributor cap and rotor were just replaced.

Hmmmm.........I dont like the sounds of this white smoke, that is indicative of a headgasket leaking, or a warped head, and when it warms up it is expanding and then sealing..........the only way to determine this is to do a compression test when it is cold and then compare it to a compression test when it is warmed up.

Does it seem to be getting any easier to start, and running better?

Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Once it is warm, it starts very eaisily. I just had a valve job done and the head surfaced. The gasket is new and all the torque specs were done correctly. I will have to get out there on the weekend to do the compression test to see what I can come up with.
I'm wondering idf the engine coolant temp switch is bad. It tells the computer the temp of the engine, and when it is cold, it will enrichen the mixture, kind of like if it had a choke. They are inexpensive and might be worth trying. Let me know...
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic