Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Highlander: 3.0 V6..V6 engine..the cooling systems thermostat

Customer Question
Do you have a picture...
Do you have a picture of an'03 Toyota Highlander 3.0 V6 engine showing the location of the cooling system's thermostat?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/2/2006
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotaman, Toyota Technician replied 11 years ago
Toyotaman
Toyotaman, Toyota Technician

Follow the lower radiator hose back the the engine and it will end at the thermostat.

Here are the replacement instructions

REPLACEMENT

DRAIN COOLANT
REMOVE BATTERY
REMOVE AIR CLEANER ASSY
Disconnect the MAF meter connector and wire clamp.
Disconnect the VSV connector for canister closed valve (CCV) and air hose.
Disconnect the 3 vacuum hoses.
Loosen the hose clamp.
Remove the air cleaner cap.
Remove the air filter.
Remove the 3 bolts and air cleaner case.
SEPARATE RADIATOR HOSE OUTLET
REMOVE WATER INLET PIPE
Remove the bolt and water inlet pipe.
REMOVE WATER INLET
Remove the 3 bolts and water inlet.
REMOVE THERMOSTAT

INSTALL THERMOSTAT
Install a new gasket to the thermostat.
Align the thermostat jiggle valve with the upper stud bolt, and insert the thermostat in the water inlet housing. HINT: The jiggle valve may be set within 15° of either side of the prescribed position.
INSTALL WATER INLET Torque: 8 Nm (82 kgf-cm, 71 inch lbs.)
INSTALL WATER INLET PIPE
Install a new O-ring to the water inlet pipe.
Apply soapy water to the O-ring.
Connect the water inlet pipe to the water inlet.
Install the bolt holding the water inlet pipe to the cylinder head. Torque: 20 Nm (204 kgf-cm, 15 ft. lbs.)
INSTALL AIR CLEANER ASSY Torque: 5 Nm (51 kgf-cm, 44 inch lbs.)
ADD COOLANT
CHECK FOR ENGINE COOLANT LEAKS

Toyotaman
Toyotaman
Toyotaman, Toyota Technician