Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Tercel: leaking water from the radiator..water pump..thermostat....it

Customer Question
My 92Toyota Tercel is overheating...
My 92Toyota Tercel is overheating, at first it was leaking water from the radiator, replaced that. Then it was leaking from the water pump, replaced that (not leaking) Then it was leaking fromt he thermostat, replaced that..it is still leaking a bit..however, the car is overheating after a short drive, not long enough for the water to leak out...boiling water..please help!
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/8/2006
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 11 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
First make sure that the electric cooling fan is coming on, if it does there is a possibility of a blown headgasket because of the repeated overheating, remove the oil filler cap and see if there is a milky looking deposit in the cap, this indicates that water is getting into the oil which means the headgsket is leaking internally, if the oil looks normal it could still be the problem because the gasket may be leaking directly into the combustion chamber of one or more cylinders, check for any white steam from the tailpipe, this is also an indication, you can also have a repair shop or the toyota dealer do a chemical block test or have it checked for excessive hydrocarbon emissions at the radiator opening.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech