Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Questions about U.S. Custom Rules

Individuals may have had contact with US Customs regarding their shipment coming into the USA. These individuals may have questioned if US Customs incidents have records that can be available to them or if there are certain items that are deemed as illegal to be brought into the USA. These uncertainties often lead to questions like the ones answered below by Experts.

I failed to pay a US customs penalty 7 years ago and never received anything from them. Now my federal refund check has been sent to them. What needs to be done?

The first thing you could do is to try to contact the office that has your refund check and ask them what the penalties or fees may be to pay off the customs. If you have not had a hearing, you may want to request a hearing to find out if the fine you are incurring is valid. There are some situations where U.S. Customs’ fines can be paid on a payment plan. In case you have already had a hearing, you could request them to set the hearing aside since it did not prove of valid service to you.

In 2004 I was stopped by U.S. Customs in Chicago, because I imported smoked meat and sausages from Germany to the U.S. and I was fined $100. In order to apply for licenses I need records of that incident. Where can I find records of past US Customs incidents?

Records from that period are probably being held in an archive. So you can start checking regional location archives since all the archives are not held in one place. You could begin by getting in touch with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at O’Hare International Airport and enquire as to where they store their records. Their website address is

Can I sue US Customs & Border Protection in regards to creating a hostile work environment and then terminating me 2 weeks before my permanent conversion?

This could be deemed as wrongful termination. You are free to file a civil suit seeking your job back or even sue for damages. You could begin by having a lawyer send your ex-employer a demand letter. If there is no resolution, you could have your lawyer file a wrongful termination suit against U.S. Customs & Border Protection.

Are unaccompanied individual’s traveling from the UK to the US for vacation, required to hold a certain amount of cash at time of their boarding a flight to the US in order to help prevent prostitution?

Policies of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection state that travelers, whether male or female, should have sufficient funds to cover their lodging, entertainment, meals and travel in order to be admitted into the U.S. The funds do not have to be in cash. It can include cash, travelers’ checks, money order and credit cards. The policies do not make any reference to concerns of prostitution. In case the traveler is being hosted in the U.S. by a resident, the resident would need to send the traveler a written invitation with their full name and address to furnish as proof at customs.

Does the U.S. customs consider it illegal to import a pen with a hidden camera into the country?

The US Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Investigation has become more careful with these kinds of shipments. Though you may see these “spy pens” as harmless, the government sees them as being illegal. Having a clear understanding along with the right information can help when faced with circumstances that involving US Custom rules.

Experts can help answer if US Customs find certain items to be illegal to import into the U.S. or where to find older records of incidents that may have occurred with US Customs. Get the answers fast and affordably by asking an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1312 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4357 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.