Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Uncharacterized Military Discharge

Military boots lined up in file

What is an uncharacterized military discharge?

An “uncharacterized” discharge is one which is not Honorable, General, or Dishonorable. This type of discharge confuses many people but it is designed to be a neutral discharge for many reasons, it is not negative or positive, it's simply the end of employment with the military for one reason or another.  It is usually used for entry-level separations (ELS), or separations from the military in the first 180 days of service. Because the discharge is not specifically noted what type or category the Military discharge falls under, this can cause questions to arise.

Can a Marine uncharacterized discharge be changed to a medical discharge if I have been out of the military for 17 years?

Attempting to change your method of discharge can be very difficult after so long. The only option after 15 years is to file a DD Form 149 for correction of military records. You'll have to prove that they made a mistake by improperly classifying your reason for discharge. Additionally, because the classification was known for 17 years, they could ignore the request under the "3 years after discovery" rule, however they can waive that rule but most time they usually don't.

If a Certified Peace Officer has an uncharacterized discharge due to medical reasons, is it possible to upgrade the discharge??

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to change the method of discharge. An uncharacterized discharge is not like a General or Other than Honorable which can be upgraded. It's supposed to reflect nothing more than a termination of employment in the military, not negative or punitive. Therefore, there is not an upgrade for it.

Can someone be hired for a federal job if they have an uncharacterized discharge from the Navy that is more than ten years old?

In many cases this can happen, since the uncharacterized discharge does not bar you from federal service. Having an uncharacterized discharge from the Army or Navy is often confused with other types of Military discharges. Uncharacterized discharges are just what they sound, uncharacterized and this leads into the confusion of the severity of the discharge.

I have a Chapter 10 discharge from the Army. What kind of benefits can I expect, and can I do anything to upgrade it?

The Chapter 10 is known as a discharge in lieu of a court martial. That indicates that the individual was qualified for an “Other than Honorable, General or maybe Uncharacterized Discharge” (if the individual was not there long enough). If the individual obtains an OTH or uncharacterized discharge, there are no settlements or benefits available. The VA will believe it to be a discharge for dishonorable reasons or, if uncharacterized, it means that the individual was not in the military at all. If the individual obtains a General Discharge, the individual has all benefits accessible to them apart from education benefits. The only way to have a discharge upgraded is to fill out DD Form 293.

If someone’s DD 214 says that their separation authority is Para 5-11 or 635-200, what does this mean?

According to: AR 635-200, chapter 5-11 says:" Separation of personnel who did not meet procurement medical fitness standards".

Paragraph A. states "Soldiers who were not medically qualified under medical fitness standards when accepted for enlistment or who became medically disqualified may be separated. Such conditions must be discovered during the first 6 months of AD".

Uncharacterized Military Discharge laws are often confused with other discharges in the military and bring many questions to the table. People can turn to Experts with any Military law question for fast helpful answers.

Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Military Lawyers are online now

Military Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

P. Simmons

Military Lawyer

Doctoral Degree

17701 positive reviews
Allen M., Esq.


Juris Doctor, Cum Laude

6032 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2336 positive reviews
See all Military Lawyers