Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Military Tricare Rules

What is Tricare?

Tricare is the military insurance that was formally known as Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services or CHAMPUS. This type of insurance is a part of the United States Department of Defense Military Health System and provides civilian health benefits for military personnel, military retirees and any dependants that they have. Read below where the Experts have answered many questions relating to Military Tricare.

Can a person’s military spouse take them and their children off of the military Tricare?

In many cases the military spouse can remove the spouse and child from the Tricare, but the spouse can file a support petition and ask that the spouse and child be reinstated on the Tricare or any other health care that the military spouse has. The spouse would not need to file for divorce; they would only need to file the support petition.

Can a child that is 42 or 26 years old still be able to be on their parent’s Tricare?

In most cases an unmarried child that is 21 years old can be covered by Tricare even if the parents get divorced and remarried. If the child is severally disabled before they turned 21 or if the child was enrolled in a full-time collage class when the disability occurred, then the child can be on Tricare. If the child has no disability and is enrolled in a collage class, then they would be able to be on Tricare until they were 23 years old. There is a program called Tricare young adult that the child may be able to get if they were a part of the Tricare program.

Does Tricare for life help pay for the costs of nursing homes for a spouse or retired military?

In most cases Tricare does not cover these costs, but the VA has a program that may be able to help offset the cost of the nursing home stay. This program through the VA can be used for the retired military person as well as the spouse of the person. The only requirement that the vet would need to meet is that they qualify for some form of military disability.

If a person is divorced from a retired military person, would the person lose their Tricare coverage if they choose to get remarried?

If the former spouse is on Tricare and they get remarried, then they would lose their Tricare coverage. If the new spouse of the former spouse is military and retired, then the former spouse would need to be placed on the new spouse’s Tricare. The former spouse would not be able to keep the Tricare coverage from the former spouse when/if the person remarries.

Tricare is the medical coverage for military personnel and their families. When a person is dealing with Tricare, then they may have questions about what Tricare covers, who can have Tricare, or any other questions regarding Tricare and what they cover. When these questions arise, then the person would need to seek the insight of an Expert to gain answers to the questions they may have.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Military Lawyers are online now

Military Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

P. Simmons

Military Lawyer

Doctoral Degree

15800 positive reviews
Allen M., Esq.


Juris Doctor, Cum Laude

5533 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2066 positive reviews
See all Military Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.