Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

US Tax Treaties related Questions

What is a tax treaty?

Tax treaties are what many countries have in place as an agreement with other countries to help prevent the double taxation that may happen. In most cases when a tax treaty is set in place it will cover income taxes, inheritance tax, value added tax, and other types of taxes. Tax treaties also help to lower the cost of taxes on a certain treaty country for residents of another treaty country. Read below to find more questions about tax treaties that have been answered by the Experts.

Would a US resident have to pay taxes in the country where they earn money or would the money pass through a tax treaty?

In most cases the way the money would be taxed would depend on if the person was a US citizen or a resident alien. If they are a US citizen, then the tax treaty would have no bearing on the US or foreign money. If the person is a resident alien, then the tax treaty would step in and determine if the income is taxable. In most cases the country that the money is earned in is the country that would tax the money.

Does Monaco have Double Taxation Agreements?

Case Details: If a person starts a business in one country and invoices in other countries, would the invoices be taxed in the other countries?

Monaco has been trying to push for tax treaties with other countries. The treaties that are currently in place do not cover the double taxation. The country of Monaco does have a tax treaty with France, Luxembourg, and Qatar. In most cases the countries that are in treaties will tax the money at the source.

Does the US have a current Tax Treaty with the Marshall Islands ?

Case Details: Particularly a treaty precluding US investors from having Foreign Income Tax Withheld from their dividends paid by companies incorporated in the Marshall Islands

When it comes to Double Taxation Treaties, the Government of Marshall Islands has not signed any tax treaties with any other countries. If a company is located in the Marshall Islands, they are not required to withhold taxes for the US. Companies that are in the Marshall Islands do not pay taxes and they are also not required to keep financial statements, but the company is generally asked to keep the financial records on their earnings and expenses.

If an Argentine citizen is working in Mexico for a company that is based in California, would the person need to file taxes in the US?

If the company is based in the state of California and has retained the person for them, even if they have not worked in the US in several years, they will still be required to file a 104NR. The United States has tax treaties with several countries. If the person is a nonresident alien, then the tax treaties may reduce their tax liability. The income of the person would need to turn the income into the IRS to find out if they are tax exempt or would be eligible for a reduced tax.

Tax treaties are a way to help foreign countries not assume a higher tax when working in other countries. When a person has income in another country, then they may have questions regarding what countries have tax treaties or what countries will honor tax treaties. When these questions arise, then the person would need to contact an Expert and get the answers to the questions they may have about tax treaties.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1338 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4589 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.