Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Resisting Arrest

What is resisting arrest?

Resisting arrest is a criminal offence in which an individual may flee a police officer while being arrested, threaten or attack a police officer to escape arrest, provide an officer with false identification while being arrested or physically struggle to get out while being caught. Resisting arrest could lead to serious punishment in various parts of the United States. Given below are some popular questions asked by different people that have been answered by Experts on resisting arrest.

What is the punishment for resisting arrest?

The punishments for resisting arrest may be different in different states of the U.S. In some states like Delaware, resisting arrest could be classified based on whether it was using violence or not. Resisting arrest with violence or force may be classified as a Class G Felony. The punishment for this would be 2 years in state prison. Resisting arrest without any force or violence may be classified as a Class A misdemeanor for which an individual may be punished with a fine of $ 2300 and one year in county jail.

Is resisting arrest considered a felony in Pennsylvania?

In some states of the U.S. like Pennsylvania, resisting arrest would not be considered a felony. It would be considered a second degree misdemeanor. The maximum penalty for it would be two years in jail and a fine of $5000

Can a Resisting arrest charge be expunged from an individual’s record?

Rules regarding resisting arrest differ from state to state in the U.S. In some states like Ohio, it may not be possible to expunge a resisting arrest charge from an individual’s record. However, the individual may request the courts to seal the record. If the record is sealed, it is likely that no other agency would be able to access it. The individual can appeal to seal the record by contacting the clerk of the court that passed the ruling and filling out the required forms. In some states and situations, expungement may be possible if the individual is charged, acquitted and then granted absolute pardon, if the individual is a first time offender arrested for a misdemeanor or if the person’s name and identification has been used by another person who has been acquitted without his/her consent.

What would be the punishment if an individual got a Class A misdemeanor for resisting arrest?

In most situations a Class A misdemeanor for resisting arrest would result in punishment for not more than one year, although this may vary by state law. However, if the individual was on probation, it would be considered a violation of probation and besides the jail time for the present resisting arrest charge, the individual may be punished for violation of probation as well.

If an individual who was charged with resisting arrest, did not complete probation; would the warrant against him/her be valid after 30 years?

In most cases, warrants do not have a statute of limitations. Hence, they may remain on the criminal record of an individual. If the individual, who was charged with resisting arrest, had not completed probation, then the warrant could be for a violation of probation. The individual could be incarcerated and resentenced.

Having information about the laws regarding resisting arrest and the punishment for resisting arrest can help individuals who are charged with it to overcome the situation. Resisting arrest can lead to serious consequences if the individual does not have enough information about it. When seeking more information or answers to complex questions dealing with resisting arrest charges, and resisting arrest cases, an individual may turn to the Experts.

Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Criminal Lawyers are online now

Criminal Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3162 positive reviews
P. Simmons


Doctoral Degree

2001 positive reviews


Juris Doctor

1814 positive reviews
See all Criminal Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.