Premature Ejaculation Questions
What causes premature ejaculation?Premature ejaculation may be caused by different factors. Some of these include:
• Hormonal problems
• 5HT dysfunction
• Hyper excitable ejaculation and hyperarousability
• Penis hypersensitivity
• Poor ejaculatory control
• Infrequent sexual intercourse
• Performance stress
What are the treatment options for premature ejaculation?There are different treatment options to control premature ejaculation. Some of these are given below:
• Application of lidocaine or prilocaine on glans 20-30 minutes before the intercourse. It should be applied to the under surface of the head of the penis.
• Squeeze technique which includes squeezing of the erectile penal shaft before the ejaculatory reflex is stimulated
• Medical therapy which includes medications like clomipramine and Phenoxybenzamine. Besides this, SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like sertraline, fluoxetine, clomipramine, paroxetine and citalopram may also be useful.
• Masturbation for 3-4 hours before intercourse. This will delay the ejaculation if intercourse happens within 3-4 hours.
• Keeping the woman above can help to delay ejaculation
• Avoiding stress will be helpful as performance anxiety can also lead to premature ejaculation
• Sex therapy sessions.
• Use of condoms during intercourse can help to reduce sensitivity
• Distraction techniques
• Start –stop techniques which includes purposely stopping before ejaculation and then starting again
Can over the counter medications such as extenze help cure premature ejaculation?Over the counter medications such as extenze may not be helpful in curing premature ejaculation. These medications have also not been approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for its treatment.
How does serotonin help to cure premature ejaculation and what are its side effects?One of the side effects of serotonin is delayed ejaculation. Therefore, it is prescribed by some doctors to treat premature ejaculation. Other side effects of this medication can include dry mouth, nervousness, nausea, diarrhea, headaches and drowsiness.
How is the progressive muscle relaxation exercise done to cure premature ejaculation?The progressive muscle relaxation exercise may be helpful in controlling premature ejaculation. It aims at reducing the person’s anxiety because most ejaculation problems can be caused by anxiety. The exercise can help to relax the muscles, especially the abdominal and pelvic muscles. The process is given below:
• Take three deep breaths by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth.
• Tense all the face muscles by closing the eyes as tightly as possible and clenching the teeth. Hold this for a minute, then relax and repeat again
• Keep the eyes closed and move them right, left, up and down.
• Exhale and relax completely. Let the face go completely lax.
• Once this is done, completely tense and relax different muscle groups two at a time. The muscle groups include neck and shoulders, chest, stomach and abdomen, arms and fists, groin and buttocks, upper legs, lower legs and feet including the curling toes.
• Count backwards from 10 to 1, visualizing each number and slowly open the eyes.
Premature ejaculation is a common sexual problem. It can have a negative impact on someone’s confidence levels and affect their sexual life if they suffer from this problem. Individuals may not be comfortable talking about it to friends or family. Sometimes, someone may even find it embarrassing to talk about the problem to their own doctor. However, this does not mean that the individual may not have questions about the problem, its causes, symptoms and treatment. Not getting proper information about the problem and convincing answers to these questions can increase someone’s anxiety and cause more frustration. At such times, individuals can ask an Expert and get all the information they need about premature ejaculation without the embarrassment of meeting someone and speaking to them about it.