Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Police Report Questions

What is a Police Report?

A police report is a written paperwork that is put together after a crime or accident is reported to the proper police officers. A police report consists of the victim’s name, people that are considered to be witnesses, what offense of the crime is given, and other vital information that is needed. A police report may be a one page or more; it varies according to what has happened at the scene of the crime or accident. After a police report, is developed witnesses are brought in and interviewed. Information from the witness’s interview is recorded in the police report file. There is also drug and alcohol testing after a suspect is arrested; results of those two tests are also recorded into the police report in order to help with the case.

How can a person obtain a Police Report?

In order to get a copy of a police report, the person has to go to the police department and make a request for the report. The police department will make a copy of the police report and give the report to the person. Some police departments may charge a fee for getting a copy of a police report.

If a Police Report states they were given approval from an Assistant State Attorney to charge someone with damage to State property, how can charges be changed to damage to Government property

An Assistant State's Attorney and law enforcement officials have the right to change charges when new evidence if found. The attorney works with the law officials’ the attorney may let the law officials know of new evidence and to change the charges of the crime. The defendant’s attorney is allowed to file a motion to attempt and have the charges thrown out if there is no physical evidence available. It is up to the court to agree with the motion or not. The law officials must have physical evidence to charge a defendant.

Can a police officer change a police report when certain information was not included in the report after a plea has been put in court?

The police officer is allowed to change the police report; even after a plea is put into court. A police report is not a court document so the police officer is allowed to make the needed changes to the report. Certain departments have policies that focus on changing reports but, no law has been established yet that stops it. There may be department policies regarding changing or amending reports, but there is no law prohibiting it. The defendant is allowed to request a withdrawal of a plea; although, it is up to the court system to do so.

What will happen if a person lies on a police report in Illinois?

720 ILCS 5/26-1 (4), provides that filing a false report with the police is a criminal offense. Under the circumstances you have related, an offense constitutes a Class 4 felony. 730 ILCS 5/5-8-1(a) (7) provides that the term of incarceration for a Class 4 felony is ordinarily between one and three years. 730 ILCS 5/5-9-1(a) (1) ordinarily provides for fines of up to $25,000 for felonies. Only a small proportion of those convicted of a Class 4 felony are sentenced to prison. More likely would be community supervision (probation) with mandatory community service of not less than 30 and not more than 120 hours.

A police report is needed to have vital information about a crime or accident that happens. There are certain questions that people may have that go unanswered. Questions such as: How to file a police report? How to request a police report? Experts are here to help with questions that any individual may have about police reports.
Please type your question in the field below

7 verified Criminal Lawyers are online now

Criminal Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor

5222 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3262 positive reviews


Juris Doctorate

3170 positive reviews
See all Criminal Lawyers