Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Permit Test Rules

What is a permit test?

The permit test is a type of test that a person has to take in order to obtain a driver’s permit. This is a written test that covers the basics of driving and rules of the road. Some states will allow the person that passes the permit test to drive to and from school and work without another licensed driver being with them.

Can a person who has failed the permit test three times pay to get his/her license?

When a person goes to get his/her license, he/she will have to pass a two part test. The two parts of the test are a written tests and a driving test. The person cannot pay money or favors to be able to pass one or both parts of the test. If the person has failed the written permit test three times, then he/she would need to keep taking the test until they pass it to gain their actual driver’s license. If the person attempts to pay to pass on or both parts of the driver’s test, then he/she can be charged with a crime as well as the examiner that allowed the money to be paid.

If a person lives in the state of California and was born in the year 1997 or after, are they changing the law to make it where the person has to be 18 to gain a license or driving permit?

In the state of California, there has been no law passed that says any person would have to be 18 to gain a permit. If the person is under 18, then he/she can apply and gain a driver’s permit if they have met the requirements to gain the permit. The requirements for the permit are a written permit test, driver’s education, and have the consent of the parents or guardians.

If a driver who is under the age of 21 has a license that is suspended for offenses then has issues with the officer that suspended the licenses, what would the person have to do to gain a driver’s permit so that he/she can get back and forth to work?

If the officer decides that the person’s license should be suspended, then the person would need to attend the formal hearing and present his/her case, but in most cases the officer’s decision is upheld. The person would not have any other choice, but to follow the request of the officer. If the person still does not agree, then he/she would be able to request another formal hearing within 30 days and present their case to the judge who would decide what the person can do. If the judge agrees, then the person would need to take the written test in order to get his/her permit.

Can a person from another country drive on his/her foreign license until he/she gains a California driver’s license?

According to California’s Vehicle Code Section 12502; 

(a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver's license under this code:
(1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, except as provided in Section 12505.
(2) A nonresident, 21 years of age or older, if transporting hazardous material, as defined in Section 353, in a commercial vehicle, having in his or her immediate possession, a valid license with the appropriate endorsement issued by another state or other jurisdiction that is recognized by the department, or a Canadian driver's license and a copy of his or her current training certificate to transport hazardous material that complies with all federal laws and regulations with respect to hazardous materials, both of which shall be in his or her immediate possession.
(3) A nonresident having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license, issued by the Diplomatic Motor Vehicle Office of the Office of Foreign Missions of the United States Department of State, for the type of motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that the person is operating.

(b) Any person entitled to the exemption contained in subdivision (a), while operating, within this state, a commercial vehicle, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 15210, shall have in his or her possession a current medical certificate of a type described in subdivision (c) of Section 12804.9, which has been issued within two years of the date of operation of that vehicle. (c) A nonresident possessing a medical certificate in accordance with subdivision (b) shall comply with any restriction of the medical certificate issued to that nonresident.

When a person wants to gain a driver’s permit, then he/she would need to pass the permit test. Before the person goes to take the permit test, he/she may have questions regarding the test. The person would need to seek the advice of an Expert before taking the permit test.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Traffic Lawyers are online now

Traffic Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor

558 positive reviews
Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

532 positive reviews


Juris Doctor

359 positive reviews
See all Traffic Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.