Ask a lawyer and get answers to your legal questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Parole Related Questions

Parole is the provisional release of a prisoner allowing him/her to serve the rest of the sentence under community supervision. Paroles are granted with the aim to re-establish a prisoner within the society to prevent further crimes. The intent is to prevent unnecessary imprisonment of those who have reformed and are not likely to commit further crimes. Such parolees are assisted with employment, finances, residences or any other problems they may face while readjusting to the society post release. Below, Legal Experts answer questions on laws in relation to parole and parole violations.

After being released on parole, my parole officer told me that if I did not find gainful employment, I will be reprimanded back to prison. Can I claim my online business, which is not yet generating business, as employment?

You are allowed to be self-employed. However, you should be able to convince your parole officer that your business is viable and will generate income. Sooner or later, the parole officer may want to know if the business is actually making money.

Can a parolee in Michigan seek employment outside the state?

In Michigan State, there are two kinds of parole conditions: standard and special. The former includes restriction generally placed on all parolees. Like the procedure where the parolees have to report to the parole officer within 24 hours of initial release. The special conditions are those that are imposed on a case to case basis. Under special circumstances, for example, the 24-hour rule may be changed to 72 hours after initial release.

As a standard condition, parolees may not leave the state without prior permission. If you wish to work outside the state, you will need a prior written permission from the parole officer.

A parolee may be required to notify the state they are moving to only if there are special orders to do so, or if they were convicted for sexual offence.

My boyfriend’s parole officer remanded him for two months in jail a month after we had a fight. Following the incident, police officers came to my apartment and physically abused me. My boyfriend is out on parole again and has been restricted from making any contact with me, which has left him homeless. I have also been denied the right to testify or appear at his parole hearing. What’s my legal recourse?

The fact is the parole officer has the right to set conditions to your boyfriend’s release. Non-compliance of these conditions can result in the officer revoking his parole and sending him back to jail. Once a person is convicted of felony and placed in custody, he/she would lose most of his/her Civil Rights till the sentence is completed. This means that the parole officer will have the right to impose the same restrictions or conditions on your boyfriend as if he were still in prison.

Since your boyfriend has agreed to the parole terms and consented to be supervised by his parole officer, you will have no say in the restrictions imposed on him even if they affect you in any way. Also, you do not have the right to testify at his parole hearing. This too is subject to the discretion of the parole officer.

Finally, if you feel that the police have violated your rights or acted illegally, you may file a formal complaint with the Internal Affairs Department. If you wish to pursue a claim, you may contact a personal injury attorney who will evaluate your situation to determine if you have a valid claim.

I am 67-year-old parolee who had a heart attack without experiencing any symptoms and am being treated at a hospital. I have three years of parole left for Grand Larceny (not auto) in New York. How can I seek an early release?

You may start by filing a petition with New York State Parole Board as well as the court in which you were convicted requesting early release based on your age and medical condition. Post this; you may obtain a detailed letter from the physician who is treating you explaining your condition with copies of your medical reports attached. This method of documentation will convince the Board that your petition is honest.

In case you require the services of an attorney in the process, you may contact the New York State Bar Association and inquire about pro bono (free) legal services.

The Parole Commission reserves the right to terminate the supervision of the parolee by Probation Officer. The parolee will then receive a Certificate of Early Termination. Till then, the parolee remains under the jurisdiction of the Parole Commission. If you have any questions on laws related to parole, clear your doubts by writing to Legal Experts.
Please type your question in the field below

5 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24659 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

23642 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2132 positive reviews
See all Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.