Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Paranoid Schizophrenia Questions

What is paranoid schizophrenia?

Paranoid schizophrenia is considered a serious brain disorder. This condition can cause an individual to distort the way an individual thinks, acts, perceives reality, expresses emotions and relates to others. Individuals that suffer from this condition may experience problems functioning in society, at school, at work and possibly in relationships. This condition can be considered the most disabling and chronic of the major mental illnesses. Individuals may become withdrawn and frightened. This is a life-long condition with no cure. However the condition can be controlled with the proper treatment. This condition does not result in a split personality. Schizophrenia is a type of mental illness that causes an individual to have a difficult time determining the real from the imagined. The severity of this condition can vary from one individual to another. When an individual is showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia, questions can arise regarding the causes, symptoms and treatments. Read below for questions that have been answered by Experts about paranoid schizophrenia.

What is a treatment regime for paranoid schizophrenia?

For the treatment of paranoid schizophrenia a medical practitioner may recommend:

• The use of Haldol 20 milligrams in the morning and 2 milligrams of Congentin at night. Congentin is an anti-cholinergic medication that can be added to the Haldol to help prevent the side effects of Haldol.

• A mood stabilizer such as Lithium, Valproate, Carbamezepine or Divalproax. These medications can help treat depression and mood fluctuations. The medication may be started at a lower dose and administered twice a day.

• An anti-anxiety medication such as Buspar. This medication can help the mood stabilizer to maintain stable moods and help to prevent emotional swings.

What are paranoid schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder treatments?

In many individuals, the two conditions Paranoid schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder can coexist. Obsessive compulsive disorder is caused by Serotonin levels in the brain which can cause an individual to count things, rechecking and possibly other obsessive acts. Paranoid Schizophrenia is a condition caused by problems with dopamine and also causes delusions and hallucinations. Paranoid schizophrenia can be treated with Clozapine, Quitiapine, Perphenazine and Bensodiazepines. These medications can cause extrapyramidal side effects, significant weight gain and neruleptic syndrome. Psychotherapy and SSRIs such as Sertaline, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine and TCAs such as Cloimipramine Neuroleptic medications can be used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder.

Would paranoid schizophrenia be considered genetic?

Paranoid schizophrenia may have a genetic component. About 60% of the time, concordant twins become schizophrenic. An individual’s chance of becoming affected by the condition if there is a third degree relative with schizophrenia. In 40% of cases, when one twin has schizophrenia the other twin may not develop the condition. Environmental influences may also be a cause of the condition.

Would paranoia be considered a normal part of schizophrenia?

Paranoia can be considered a diagnostic symptom and feature of paranoid schizophrenia. However it is also a psychotic form which can indicate that the paranoia is at a level that can cause an individual to experience paranoid delusions. Paranoid hallucinations where an individual sees things, hears things, smells or tastes things that may not be present in reality can occur. Examples of paranoia can include hearing voices that an individual is going to cause harm, seeing, feeling, and touching something that has paranoid content with no basis on reality.

This is a serious brain disorder. A medical practitioner may outline a treatment plan for each individual because the severity can differ for each person. Treatments can include the use of anti-psychotic medications. This condition may be considered genetic however there may be environmental causes as well. When an individual is showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia, questions and concerns may arise. For more information or answers to these questions, an individual can contact an Expert
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Mental Health Professionals are online now

Mental Health Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Online
Dr. Keane

Therapist

Doctoral Degree

★★★★★
1379 positive reviews
Online
TherapistMaryAnn

Therapist

Master's Degree

★★★★★
4231 positive reviews
Online
Dr. Olsen

Psychologist

Doctoral Degree

★★★★★
2336 positive reviews
See all Mental Health Professionals