Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

No-Fault Divorce Law Questions

For the ordinary person, a majority of the divorce questions that arise typically pertain to no-fault divorces. Questions related to no fault divorce alimony, meaning of no fault divorce, laws of no fault divorce states are among the most common. When people are faced with these types of questions they often turn to Family Lawyers on JustAnswer for answers. Listed below are five of the top no-fault divorce questions that have been answered by the Experts.

Does the Connecticut no fault divorce law require a couple to live in a different residence in order to get a divorce?

Couples can be divided in the relationship and continue to live together for financial reasons while going through a divorce, as long as the individuals are in agreement to the separation date when they file for a no fault divorce. The Connecticut law normally requires a couple to be separated for eighteen months prior to the actual divorce.

Under the New York State no fault divorce law, can a plaintiff (husband) be liable for health insurance of the wife (defendant), if she is currently gainfully employed?

This could depend on what is awarded in the final divorce decree. In most cases, the husband would not be responsible for health coverage for the wife. However, many times the husband could be liable to compensate for the health coverage if he had signed the divorce decree stating that he agrees to pay the health coverage.

Can someone delay no-fault divorce in Michigan if the wife doesn’t agree to it, and will it go through court as a “no-fault divorce”.

The husband can’t file a no fault divorce -- it cannot usually be an uncontested divorce -- if the wife does not agree to the divorce. In such circumstances, it would typically be considered a contested divorce and could in most situations delay the divorce. If you are not sure on the state specific no fault divorce laws in your area, Family Lawyers on JustAnswer can help answer your questions.

If someone filed for a no fault divorce, and the husband is contesting it and refusing to pay any household bills; is there any way that the wife can legally get him to pay bills or move out of the house?

The courts would normally have to draw up short-term guidelines to obligate him to be liable for the bills, and to move out of the house and relocate. The wife can actually file the temporary orders herself through the court and they would take precedence until the actual divorce hearing.

Is there any way someone can get a no-fault divorce without the spouse’s agreement in the state of Mississippi?

In the state of Mississippi, consent of both individuals is usually not required for a divorce. However, if both parties are not in agreement, it is actually called a contested divorce, and really has no bearing on whose fault results in the divorce. In most situations, the individual that is filing for the divorce would have to ask for an at-fault divorce and specifically state the nature of the fault that would become the grounds for the divorce.

There are states that honor the no fault divorce, while there are others where you need to prove why you would want a divorce based on valid divorce grounds. Many times no-fault divorce laws can lead to several legal questions that need legal insight and Expert knowledge of the law. When faced with questions about no fault divorce laws, you can ask a Family Lawyer on JustAnswer for Expert opinion based on the particulars of your case.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Family Lawyers are online now

Family Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

11843 positive reviews

Attorney and Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

9025 positive reviews
Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

7856 positive reviews
See all Family Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.