Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Naturalization Questions

The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization (form N-550 or N-570) is a document issued by United States government as proof of a person having obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization (a legal process of obtaining a new nationality). Only naturalized United States citizens can apply for a Certificate of U.S. Naturalization. If you are not a United States citizen, you must first apply for US citizenship. Applying for a citizenship by naturalization can lead to many legal questions. Read below some of the top naturalization questions that have been answered by Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer.

If someone holds a conditional permanent residence status that is about to expire, and have filed an I-175 to remove the conditions, when does the time start counting for the 3 year status?

They can apply for naturalization, three years minus 90 days (that is two years and nine months) after the date of issue of their conditional card. Although the I-751 does not need to have been adjudicated before they file for naturalization, it is important; however, that they not file too early - even one day early can result in a rejection. Also, they need to be sure to meet the physical presence and good moral character requirements before filing. If questions concerning permanent resident status or naturalization have got you stumped, you can ask Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer for answers to your questions.

If someone was born on a Lundstuhl Army base was naturalized and now has lost their Naturalization Papers how would they go about replacing them?

They may get a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document" (called Form N-565) and may have to call the Forms Line 1 to request Form N-565. Submit this form with the fee to your local USCIS office. It may take up to one year for you to receive a new certificate. If you have one, you may use your passport as evidence of citizenship while you wait for a replacement certificate.

If someone’s N-400 has been denied because they have a misdemeanor charge, what are their chances of being disqualified for citizenship for life?

Their chances of overcoming the denial are slim to none. Essentially, the success of an N-336 appeal is dependent upon whether or not the record can be straightened out. You are not precluded from filing for citizenship at a later date. What they will need to do is wait until the arrest/conviction is at least five years old and then reapply. At that point, although USCIS would still review the criminal history, they could not consider it as reflecting poorly on your moral character since it would be five years old or more.

If a permanent resident with a green card through employment sponsorship is eligible for US citizenship but wants to work oversees in Indonesia, how can they protect their permanent residence status?

The I-131 Re-Entry permit is what they would need to preserve their Residency status. It will allow them to stay outside of the U.S. for up to 2 years. However, once they come back to the U.S., they will need to start over again accruing the 5 years of Residency before they can apply for U.S. Citizenship.

If someone has a pending application for citizenship (naturalization), and their green-card has expired during the process how long do they have to renew?

It is the law that you are required to have a valid unexpired resident card in your possession and if it is expired then your Naturalization can be denied at the discretion of the examiner. Six months the time period allowed for the renewal and that is the exception is under the law.

Naturalization can be a little tricky if you do not know the steps to take. Any time you have questions about Naturalization or Citizenship naturalization, Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer are a click away. They can answer all your questions about citizenship by naturalization.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Immigration Lawyers are online now

Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

4016 positive reviews
Wilton A. Person

Immigration Lawyer

Juris Doctorate

3597 positive reviews
Law Girl


Doctoral Degree

451 positive reviews
See all Immigration Lawyers