Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

N-600 Form

Form N-600 is an application for an individual who is eligible to document their U.S. citizenship status based on the citizenship of their parents. It is a document that is issued by the USCIS. The processing of Form N-600 usually takes several months after the application is submitted. Below are some frequently asked questions about Form N-600, answered by immigration lawyers.

I want to fill out Form N-600 for my son. His Green Card shows the USSR as his country of birth but his birth certificate shows Russia. So what should I put as his country of birth on the form?

In this case, you should put your son’s country of birth as USSR/Russia on Form N-600.

Both my husband and I are U.S. citizens. We adopted our daughter from Samoa in 1996 and brought her to the U.S. without a visa. Our lawyers managed to get her a Green Card. She has it since 2001. Now I want her status to get changed to U.S. citizen as she is about to turn sixteen. Should I file Form N-643 or Form N-600 to apply for her citizenship?

You should file Form N-600 to apply for her citizenship. Form N-643 is no longer in use and has been replaced by Form N-600.

Question 9 in Part 3 on Form N-600 asks “were your parents married to each other when you were born (or adopted)?” My ex-husband and I were married before my son was born in the hospital. I was pregnant when we got married. What should be my answer to the question?

In a situation like this, since you were married before your son was actually born in the hospital, your answer to Question 9 in Part 3 on Form N-600 would be ”YES”.

My son’s Green Card is currently expired. So can I file Form N-600 to receive his Certificate of Naturalization or do I have to renew his Green Card?

In a case like this, you should be able to file Form N-600 for your son to receive Certificate of Naturalization. It is likely the immigration authorities would not refuse an N-600 application even if the Green Card is expired. However, according to the law you should have a current resident card.

I filed Form N-600 online but the application was rejected. I was born before November 14, 1986 because of which I did not fulfill the necessary criteria. I called the support number but did not receive any response as yet. What should I do now?

In this case, you have a few possible options. You could do now is call the National Customer Service number. You may ask for a special form that is no longer available in print. You could use that form to file for citizenship, since you want to claim citizenship based on a pre-1986 act. Or you could make an InfoPass appointment with your nearest CIS office. When you go to visit them, you would want to bring with you your parent’s certificates and your original resident card that was given to you when you arrived in the U.S. Finally, you may want to file Form N-600 and wait for the service center to take any appropriate action and send you the correct form.

I was born in 1951 in Germany. My parents brought me to the U.S. when I was two months old. Both my parents are deceased now. In 1962, I was 10 years old when my parents got U.S. citizenship. They were married to each other at the time they became U.S. citizens. They were not divorced. I have my mother’s naturalization certificate with me. I lived with both parents. What documents do I need if I have to file Form N-600 for proof of citizenship?

If you file Form N-600, you would need to submit copies of your both parent’s Certificates of Citizenship obtained through the process of Naturalization before your eighteenth birthday, their marriage certificate, and your birth certificate. You should also provide proof that you were a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States at that time.

Form N-600 is an application for a Certificate of Citizenship in the United States. U.S. citizen parents are not eligible to file Form N-600 on behalf of a minor child to apply for citizenship by becoming a citizen of the United States. The child needs to have a Lawful Permanent Residency card and should be in his or her parent’s legal and physical custody before turning eighteen years of age. If you need clarification about your specific situation with respect to Form N-600, it may help to ask an immigration law Expert.

Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Immigration Lawyers are online now

Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3992 positive reviews
Wilton A. Person

Immigration Lawyer

Juris Doctorate

3597 positive reviews
Law Girl


Doctoral Degree

451 positive reviews
See all Immigration Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.