Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Misdemeanor Charge Related Questions

A misdemeanor is a criminal act that is dealt with in a severe manner than a felony. Misdemeanors are generally handled in the way of fines and sometimes probation. It would depend on the facts of each individual case. Below are some of the more commonly asked questions about misdemeanors.

I have received two misdemeanor summons after being charged with two misdemeanors. What should I do about them?

On the summons, there should have been an appearance date and information about where you needed to report to. If you didn't respond to the summons or appear on the dates provided, you may have a warrant for your arrest.

You should contact the court clerk and find out the status of your court dates. If the judge issued warrants, this means you will have to go before the judge and have the case reopened. However, it would be in your best interest to have your attorney present at the hearing. You are considered a fugitive once a warrant has been issued and it is possible that the judge will have you jailed for failing to appear at the first hearing. A summons is the same as an arrest, and your failure to appear is not something that is looked at lightly by the court.

If you don't deal with this matter, it will follow you around everywhere you go. When applying for employment of during a routine traffic stop, these warrants will show up. To avoid possibly being thrown in jail or overlooked for employment, you should take care of the warrants to resolve the issue. In the long run, it will be better for you. It will also appear to the judge that missing the court date was an accident and that you are willing to take care of the matter rather than being brought in to court in handcuffs from avoiding the issue. It is important at this time to retain an attorney and have the attorney with you when you go before the judge.

What level of a misdemeanor is shoplifting the amount $120.00 in Kentucky? If you have no prior convictions could you request it to be reduced? Why would the court hearing be scheduled for the next day? Is that legal?

In Kentucky, if the theft is less than $300, it is considered a Class A misdemeanor which can cost you up to $500 and/or up to a year in jail.

The court hearing that you are asking about is probably an arraignment. During this time, the court will tell you the charges that are against you and ask you how you want to plead (guilty or not guilty). Regardless of the crime committed, if you are guilty or not, you should plead not guilty. This is going to allow you time to consider your options and possibly work out an arrangement with the prosecutor. You may have an opportunity to work out a deal with the prosecutor for a lesser charge.

What does a misdemeanor citation entail? The charge is public indecency in Berea, Ohio.

This would be a 3rd degree misdemeanor that usually includes a fine of up to $500 and up to 60 days in jail. That is the punishment if this is your first offense and there were no minors involved or present. This offense will show on your criminal record and has the potential to disrupt future attempts to find employment and other areas of your life. You need to have an attorney to assist you in this matter. An attorney can possibly help you in receiving a better deal than if you were to face these charges alone. An attorney could also find a favorable defense for your actions.

What is the penalty for a first time shoplifting misdemeanor offense? No previous history, clean record.

Usually, people who are first offenders of shoplifting are offered a special form of probation called a pre-trial diversion program or deferred adjudication. Generally, these types of probation are offered to those who have committed a small crime and show remorse for their actions. The courts will usually opt for this type of program for the first offenders. These forms of probation include the person paying their fines, doing some community service, taking a crime related class (anti-theft class in this situation) and short term probation. If you are offered this type of probation and complete all of the steps required, your conviction will be set aside. This means that you can honestly say that you don't have a criminal record. If you are not offered a deferred adjudication or pre-trial diversion program, you will be facing a Class A misdemeanor if the item(s) are under $150. The punishment for this crime is a jail sentence of up to one year. You should probably have an attorney present when you go to court to assist you. Your attorney may be able to have the charges reduced or at least get you into one of the programs for first offenders. The court will appoint you an attorney if you can't afford one.

Misdemeanors are the lesser charged unlawful acts that are dealt with in the judicial system. If you have issues or questions about misdemeanors, don't hesitate to contact an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Criminal Lawyers are online now

Criminal Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor

5222 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3262 positive reviews


Juris Doctorate

3170 positive reviews
See all Criminal Lawyers