Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Lost Passport Questions

A lost passport can raise many questions, whether for the holder of the passport or the immigration officer. This can lead to stress and unnecessary tension. Sometimes the loss of the important documentation attached to the passport can create more difficulties than the loss of the passport itself. You may have unanswered questions and doubts if you are in this situation. Below are common questions answered by Experts about lost passports.

How do I replace my wife’s lost passport?

A lost passport requires the following forms to be filled and submitted:
  • Form DS-64 - Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport
  • Form DS-11 - Passport Application

Both forms can be submitted to the following address:
U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

More information is available at the following links:

I lost my passport and Form I-94. How can I get them replaced? In case only the passport is lost but Form I-94 is present, can I file for a Green Card?

For the replacement of your passport, you need to contact the nearest local embassy and apply for a new one. For the Form I-94 you will need to file Form I-102 with the Unites States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and they will be able to provide you a copy of your Form I-94. Form I-102 is available on the website of USCIS ( under the tab of “Forms”. You may download it, pay the fee and fill the form as per the instructions mentioned.

For Green Card processing, a passport is not mandatory but the Form I-94 is. Form I-94 is considered as a valid proof of legal entry into the United States. The copy of the Form I-94 can be sent along with other required documents. The original can be carried in person by the applicant for the Green Card interview.

How long does it take to get a receipt for Form I-102 and the replacement of Form I-94?

In most cases, it usually takes around two to three weeks to receive the Form I-102 receipt. The replacement of Form I-94 usually takes anywhere from three to four months. If you are waiting to be called for an interview for any other type of visa application, in most cases, it will not be scheduled before you receive your Form I-94.

My Form I-20 has expired but I also lost my passport which expired two months ago. What are my options?

You need to contact the nearest consulate in your home country and apply for a new passport to be issued as soon as possible. Your school will need to report the incident to the Department of Homeland’s Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) within ten days of the incident. If you can receive a new passport prior to this time, you could avoid the need to be reinstated to your school’s academic program. However the school would need to issue you a new Form I-20 in order for you to resume studies. To do so a valid passport is mandatory.

My son has lost his passport as well as certificate of citizenship. What should he do to have these replaced?

Certificate of citizenship as the name suggests is the document to prove one’s citizenship of a country. Without this document you cannot file for a new passport or replace the lost one. First he will need to apply for a replacement certificate (for citizenship) by filing Form N-565. Once the certificate has been replaced, he can apply for a new passport. Given the circumstances, it would be wise to register a police complaint regarding the lost passport and certificate of citizenship and obtain a police report for proof and future reference if need be.

More information is available on the following link:

I lost my passport and have received a new one but it does not have the visa stamp. How can I get the visa stamp on my passport from the U.S.?

A visa stamp is what allows you to enter the U.S. As long as you remain in the United States, your visa stamp is not mandatory to hold a legal status. However if you need to travel, the visa stamp is required. In most cases, visa stamping cannot be done while you are in the U.S. To do so you may have to visit your home country and request a replacement stamp from them and then try to re-enter the U.S. In order to get a replacement of your visa status, you can apply with the U.S. embassy.

Losing a passport or any important travel document, especially if you are in a foreign country, can be quite unnerving. Usually in such situations locating an embassy for your country would be the first step. However, each situation is different and obtaining sufficient information to make necessary arrangements can help you plan your course of action prudently.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Immigration Lawyers are online now

Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3958 positive reviews
Wilton A. Person

Immigration Lawyer

Juris Doctorate

3597 positive reviews
Law Girl


Doctoral Degree

451 positive reviews
See all Immigration Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.