iPhone 3G Troubleshooting Questions
Is your iPhone 3G unable to make or receive calls? Can deleted messages be recovered? Going to a cell phone repair shop for problems you may be able to resolve yourself is a waste of time and money. The recommendations of verified technical Experts will tell you what is wrong with your phone and what you can do yourself to fix it.
Here are some questions Experts have answered.
What could be the reason for “Connecting” to show on an iPhone 3G when making a call, but for a “Lost Connection” message to then appear and the call to fail?
Case Details: The problem started soon after an upgrade to a new iOS version.
The problem could be due to the new OS not installing correctly. To fix this:
- Power off the phone and remove the SIM card.
- Reinsert the SIM card.
- Hold the Home and Power buttons down for 30 seconds or until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Release both buttons simultaneously.
- The phone will reset.
If the problem remains, connect the phone to a computer with iTunes installed using a USB cable. Allow iTunes to check for any new carrier settings or OS updates. If any new settings or updates are found, allow them to be installed on the phone. Then repeat the reset procedure given above.
Is there any device that can extend the battery life of an iPhone 3G?
There are a few devices that claim to be able to do this. Mophie Juice Pack Air Case and Rechargeable Battery is one that is reputed to be effective. It claims to extend audio playback time by up to 20 hours and video playback by 6 hours. It is slim with a low profile and has LED indicators for the amount of power left in the battery.
If calls cannot be made or received on an iPhone 3G, but text and emails work fine, what repairs are required?
Resetting the phone may fix the problem.
- Turn the phone off and remove the battery.
- If it has a SIM card, remove that also.
- Reinsert the SIM card and battery.
- Press and hold down the Power and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Release both the buttons.
If the problem remains, go to Settings > General > Reset. Choose Network Settings. This will repair any network connectivity settings that may be corrupted and should allow calls to be made and received.
If a hard restore was accidentally done on an iPhone 3G, is there any software or app that can recover text messages that were not backed up?
It is possible to recover deleted messages. However, when the phone is restored, the data in it is not simply deleted but overwritten. The memory of the phone is changed and there is no data left to recover. As such, retrieving text messages will not be possible.
How are video recordings made on an iPhone 3G?
The iPhone 3G does not have a video recording app. Go to the app store and download a video recording app that will allow the phone to record videos.
How to fix a 3-year-old iPhone 3G battery that is not holding a charge?
This could be due to either a hardware or battery issue. Since the phone is 3 years old, it is most likely a battery problem. Although replacement batteries and tools for the job are available online, it is generally safer to get a new battery from an Apple store. Before replacing the battery, ensure that all data on the phone is backed up.
What can be done if the Dropbox app will not install on an iPhone 3G?
Case Details: A message appears that an update is required.
To update the software on the phone, press and hold down the Home and Power buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen. The go to Settings > General > Software Update. The phone will automatically check for and download any available updates. If the problem remains after this, got to Settings > General > About and look for Version. If the version is lower than 4.3 and it will not update, that means that the phone is not compatible with later updates. Dropbox will only install on iOS 4.3 and above. To install Dropbox, a new phone with a newer OS will be required.
Can an iPhone 3G be upgraded to iOS 6?
iOS 6 can be installed on iPhone 3GS and above, but not on iPhone 3G.
How is a special unlocking SIM card used to unlock an iPhone 3G?
The procedure is as follows:
- The phone will have to be jail broken before it can be unlocked.
- Once the jail breaking is done, purchase the modification SIM card. They are available online.
- Turn off the phone.
- Place the modification card in the SIM card slot of the phone. Ensure that it is properly seated.
- Take the old SIM card and place it on top on the modification card so that the 6 leads of the modification card make contact with the 6 leads of the old SIM card.
- Cutting the old card slightly to allow the contacts to connect may be required.
- Place the old and modification SIM card sandwich in the card slot of the phone.
- Power on the device. A “No Service” or “Service Not Available” message will appear.
- Wait for a few minutes to allow the modification card to work.
- When the message disappears, the phone has been unlocked.
- A SIM card from another carrier can now be inserted and the phone used.
Taking a faulty iPhone 3G to a repair shop involves expense and also some days without the phone while it is being repaired. It may be possible to avoid the cost and hassle. Many issues can be fixed by the owner if the right assistance is available. The insights of verified electronics Experts can give you the help you need to fix the problems yourself. You can contact Experts online to get clear customized answers to your questions.