Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Investment Tax Credit Questions

What is investment credit?

Investment credit is a type of tax incentive that is given to companies or individuals that deducts a specified percentage of certain investment costs from their tax liability in addition to the normal allowance that is given for depreciation. Investment credits and investment are similar due to the fact that they permit investors or business to deduct a certain percentage of the capitol gain loss from their taxable income.

Is the business energy investment tax credit transferable?

The investment tax credit (ITC) is used to help lower the cost of owning or financing qualified properties and there are different levels that are used, but the most commonly used one is the lease structure. The list of items that are usually used to get the ITC is solar panels, mounts, wiring, and installation. The ITC is used when the property is ready to be lived in as intended when the property was built. In most cases these credits are able to be transferred to investors and partners of the property or company. Read below where Experts have answered thousands of questions pertaining to Investment Credit.

If a person does not use all of their investment credit in the year that they filed for taxes, are the credits able to be carried forward?

In accordance with Code 39, the unused business tax credits that are left over are generally able to be carried backwards for one year and forwards for twenty years. In most cases the commercial credit that is under section 48 is considered a part of the general business credit and investment credit as well.

Can a landlord use form 3468 to apply for the investment tax if they were to install a solar water heating system in a rental property and what is the statute?

The person would be able to use the solar heating system in most cases and would need to input the information on line 12B for 30% if the system is in place by December 31st. According to section 48 of the statute "(3) Energy properties. For purposes of this subpart, the term "energy property" means any property- (A) which is- (I) equipment which uses solar energy to generate electricity, to heat or cool (or provide hot water for use in) a structure, or to provide solar process heat, excepting property used to generate energy for the purposes of heating a swimming pool," That type of property is eligible for a 30% credit: "(2) Energy percentage. (A) In general. The energy percentage is- (I) 30 percent in the case of- (I) qualified fuel cell property, (II) energy property described in paragraph (3)(A)(I) but only with respect to periods ending before January 1, 2017, (III) energy property described in paragraph (3)(A)(ii), and (IV) qualified small wind energy property, and (ii) in the case of any energy property to which clause (I) does not apply, 10 percent."

Does having wells drilled for purposes of irrigation qualify for investment tax credit?

For a person to claim the investment credit they would have to have a specific investment. The property would have to be considered to be depreciable or amortizable that would be qualified for the rehabilitation credit, and several other credits. If a person would drill a well for the purpose of irrigation, then generally this would not be covered under any of the investment credits.

Investment tax credit is given on certain property improvements that a landlord makes. When a person is thinking of taking this credit, then he/she may have questions regarding what improvements are covered, what the rules are to being eligible for the credit, or any other questions that the person may have. When these questions arise, then the person would want to seek the answers from an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1312 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4357 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.