Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Questions about Intimidation Laws

Intimidation is where someone intentionally bullies or frightens another person, to do, or not to do something against their own will. Intimidation is a crime in many areas. Below are the most commonly asked questions about intimidation laws.

What is intimidation?

Intimidation is an intentional behavior which would cause a person to fear injury or harm. Intimidation is a crime, since the perpetrator intentionally puts another person in fear of bodily harm. Threatening to harm a person normally can involve injury, physical or mental damage, or example of injury, or a significant damage to the person. There are many laws that protect a person who feels they are a victim of intimidation or harassment.

If someone is convicted of intimidation, can a significant other be criminally charged for letting their children around the felon?

In most situations, it would be hard to prove that their significant other’s criminal background will relate in a family law proceeding unless someone has reason to believe that the children would be in any sort of danger. However, if the couple were to move in together and cohabitate, then the children would be exposed to this person, and then the situation could be brought before the court. The judge will look at all the circumstances of the conviction and decide whether the children are in any danger. If there is proof that the children have been harmed or endangered, then this would be where criminal charges could arise.

Does intimidation and harassment have the same legal consequence?

This can vary depending on the laws in each state. Harassment in many states is a statutory crime, with certain penalties such as fines and imprisonment. Whereas, intimidation may only involve civil claims caused by harm of intimidation such as, forcing someone to sign a contract. Intimidation can be found as a “hate crime” under some state laws, then the legal consequence and penalties of intimidation may be greater than harassment. Harassment normally involves repeated actions which cause a person to feel threatened or frightened. Intimidation is normally defined as an occurrence or act that is purposely done to threaten or cause fear to another person. Intimidation can be a onetime act, where harassment normally requires a repeated behavior.

If an ex-spouse continues to harass and intimidate someone what can the victim do?

The victim can go to court with the proof that their ex-spouse is harassing them, and ask the family court to issues a restraining order against the perpetrator.

What can someone do if they feel they are being intimidated, harassed/bullied by their boss in the work place?

The US Supreme Court has stated that harassment and hostile work environment laws were not meant to design a policy of consideration in the workplace. When someone is in a hostile work environment, it is where they have been discriminated against, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. If this is not the situation, they would need go above their supervisor and file a formal complaint with the Human Recourses Department if there is one, or complain the person above their boss. When someone feels that they are being either harassed or intimidated, they can fear for their life and their safety. Not only the victim’s life but also their family and children’s lives as well may be in danger. There are laws that can protect a person that feels they are a victim of intimidation.

Please type your question in the field below

5 verified Family Lawyers are online now

Family Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

11846 positive reviews

Attorney and Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

9025 positive reviews
Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

7856 positive reviews
See all Family Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.