Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

International Tax Laws

Do you need to know what the international tax law is? Can you gift property to someone in another country without either having to pay US taxes? Many times dealing with international tax laws, the average person may have questions that need answered. Read below where legal Experts give answers to international tax questions.

What is the international tax law?

The international tax Law is the tax on a person or the business that is charged to different countries. Multiple governments will reason with different countries depending on the income made or may give the country offsets to taxation relating to extraterritorial income. There are different ways that the tax limited is directed towards the territorial, residency or an exclusionary system.

Does a person have to devalue rental property to deduct the rental income from the cost basis for the purchase price?

Case Details: The person did not have the chance to estimate the value of rental property to benefit from the rental income before relocating.

The person will be allowed to obtain the Depreciation that was removed or have an opportunity to be removed. The person can show the files stating that the reduction could have been on the 2010 tax returns as well as the tax returns of 2011; that is the amount that has to be gained once again. If the person is audited then paperwork would have to be shown to the Internal Revenue Service that has proof the tax return that was on the rental was on the income.

What combination of US citizen and non-citizen is needed in order to retain effective control?

Effective control requires that a person establish a partnership of more than 50% ownerships of the United States citizens. So, they must own 50% or less of the company and it is a requirement that the partnership have at least one foreign person that would want to vote with the company on different problems and will be able to persuade the people to increase the voting block to more than 50% of the people.

If a person chooses to gift property, where both individual are US citizens and the foreign homeland, will the receiver be required to pay US taxes?

When it comes time to pay the gift tax, it is paid by the person that gives the gift and not the person that is receiving it. Although, each person that pays taxes is allowed to give a person a gifts that equals to the amount of $1 million before any gift tax becomes due. The person that is giving the gift can file the Form 709 with the Internal Revenue Service to report the money given. No taxes would have to be paid unless the giver has used up the $1 million lifetime exemption on gifts. When this is given to the recipient; the $1 million exemption is subtracted from the gift amount.

If an employee works internationally, and the US based company was deducting tax; will the employee have to give a portion of their return to the former employer?

There is a chance that the person will have to give the majority of the funds to the employer. The amount of money given will depend on the balance of the tax return and the moneys paid towards the employee by the company to the United States and the country the person worked for. It is a chance that taxes will have to be paid out to both countries.

As seen from the article above, dealing with international tax questions can be very confusing. Knowing exactly what to expect or who to turn to for questions can ease one’s worries. If you have questions not addressed here consult with an Expert online for quick and affordable answers. Experts are available at your convenience. 

Please type your question in the field below

4 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1300 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4318 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.